13. COLD AND LIMP

CHAPTER 13

COLD AND LIMP

❤❤

"What?" Everyone asked in unison, and the sky decided that was the right time to send thunder.

"I don't know... what if it left a mark on me or something?"

"That's ridiculous." I took a step toward Aiden and punched him in the gut. Yeah, he deserved that. "I wish I could punch you in the face but you are too tall for me."

"Ouch..." He dramatized the pain with an exuberant chuckle. I handed him his phone.

And it started to drizzle. I wasn't dressed exactly for the weather. What was wrong with the sky and clouds? Why did it have to conspire against me so much? When I carried the raincoat, it never rained. When I didn't, it rained. I was determined to defeat the rain. I'd carry my raincoat everywhere.

"Margo, we've got you. You know that. No need to be fretful." Irsia's placating voice didn't do the trick.

I couldn't come up with a retorting answer. I was still angry and my running nose did add insult to injury. "Do you have Kleenex at your home?" Yeah, I couldn't hold in whatever was trying to run out of my nose.

Aiden's smile grew. His jesting attitude did not fit in the scene well. I stared straight at him, sucking air into my nose, contracting my nostrils. He laughed even more.

"Shut up," I warned him. "Do you know how hard it was to put pause on my running nose to find Miles?"

He laughed harder. "It was the walk in the frigid air from school. Did you eat an ice cream or something? Did I fail to hit or am I getting warmer?"

He stirred me up. He wouldn't dare mention our interesting walk home when Elec was in the vicinity, but he had a nice time ribbing me.

Elec was still limping. She probably needed to go see a doctor. I asked Irsia to throw out her Kleenex pack out the window. I looked ridiculous. Miles walked up to Elec's car and drove her car to Irsia's home. Either he was stupid, or brave, or he would just about do anything for Elec.

I waited near Irsia's fence for a good 5 minutes. I warned her to be quick. I was drenched completely. I was getting anxious by the minute, thinking about what I would tell my mother about my drenched clothes. I thought I would tell her that I got drenched when I walked to my home from Elec's home after finishing the assignment. It was just literally 10-foot steps to her house from mine. But maybe she'd believe that. Well, I couldn't think of any other reason to tell her.

I saw Elec getting into her car. I'd drive her home, but I hate driving in the rain. I was literally holding my breath, keeping my head elevated. Yeah, like that was going to help. The Kleenex pack hit me in my temple and fell down near my feet on the ground. The outer pack was doused. When had something gone my way?

I took out a Kleenex and blew my nose. I blew in another 2 tissues to my heart's content and I walked toward Elec's car. I saw Miles leaving on his bike and Aiden was still looking at me, like he was suppressing a laughter, and completely drenched with his clothes clinching over his lithe muscles. I gave him a stare while he ran his hand through his deluged hair and waved to me as he jogged to his home. I got in and drove. It wasn't a heavy pour of rain, but it kept pouring like a soft shower. The wind kept whooshing too much. I turned on the wiper.

"What are you going to tell your mom about your leg?"

She gave me a funny stare. "Is that what you are worried about? I can lie unlike someone else in the car."