18. AND THEN THERE IS DUMBNESS

CHAPTER 18

AND THEN THERE IS DUMBNESS

❤❤

If there could be a degree after superlative, I was in that degree of confusion. I didn't want to make things more awkward by staying quiet.

"Okay... Let's finish the essay," I swallowed everything that was building up.

"Before that... I need to tell you something."

"Go on." I nodded, not looking at him.

"Verena will be here in an hour. She could read your mind for the supernatural risk assessment."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" I yelped. She was a PSB and just the thought of that was enough to interweave my limbs in a blue funk.

"She is human too. She can't help it if she was born into that and she wants to help you. Appreciate that, Margo." He looked out the window at Irsia's house.

"I'll tell her about this later. Don't sweat it."

"I am not worried." He totally was.

I blocked my mind from the thoughts of Verena. I needed to finish this essay. I needed to make it funny. I craved that feeling of accomplishment. A couple of hours passed and we almost finished the essay. Aiden's phone rang. I knew it was Verena.

"She's here. I'll go save her from my mom." He went to the threshold of the room and turned, "just don't panic."

"Okay," I said, already panicking.

I took deep breaths and I kept swallowing whatever was forming in my throat. I heard footsteps and familiar voices. Verena's voice was distantly familiar to me. I realized my face was getting tense and my shoulders tighter. As the sound of the voices neared, I felt my breath zooming.

"Margo Fawn," Verena addressed me with what I thought was some form of excitement.

That was the first time the sound of my name sent a jolt through my body. She looked cool. She looked like she just had plastic surgery and makeovers to boost her confidence. She wasn't like this before. She had hair covering her face almost all the time. She never even talked loudly. In fact, she looked very dashing now.

"How much did you tell her? She looks pasty." She talked to Aiden with her hands tied against her gut, but her right index finger pointed at me with a slight tilt in her neck. Her red hair and grey eyes were just perfect. It screamed supernatural for some reason.

Did Aiden not notice how dashing she looked? Elec and Irsia would be shell-shocked if they saw Verena now.

"She's heard stories and myths of your kind."

"Ouch... my kind?" She gave Aiden a good-natured punch in the gut. "I am human too. PSB is kind of my talent." She shimmered in some form of supernatural humility.

I sat there just watching those two bicker. How did Aiden have the courage to fraternize with whatever she was? Looking closer, she looked human... normal. Or maybe this was all an act. Maybe she could suck all my energy and make me feel like I was nothing or make me feel depressed. I then realized my eyebrows weren't in their position. I put my head down, not wanting to look weird, and brought my eyebrows back to their place.

"Margo, she is offering help. You don't have to worry." Aiden leaned against the door frame.

"I am fine. It's just that this is all new territory to me." I swallowed again, all that was forming in the pit of my stomach.