16. MEETING THE EYE

CHAPTER 16

MEETING THE EYE

❤❤

"That was out of the realm paradoxical and please don't go on about saying things like this to anybody else. We don't want to go under a quarantine just because my best friends are friends with you." Elec's bitter impression of Aiden's revelation and her soured sentiments about Irsia and me being friends with him couldn't be put in a more fitting statement for Aiden's unveiling of our old classmate's secret. I wanted to interrupt her crudeness, but my mind was still overcast by just that one word.

"PSBs are extinct," I uttered out loud, not even considering that I might sound absolutely irrational.

"Really, Margo? CONMISDUM, ghouls, a haunted house and now the extinction of PSBs?" Elec ridiculed me, but I didn't care. "I know you usually believe in weird stuff. But really? A PSB?"

"Verena is a PSB, Elec." Aiden bolstered his statement louder.

"How do you know that?" Irsia asked.

I had never seen her close to anybody or hang out with anybody. I just thought it was because of the fact that she got sick often. She was mysteriously silent all the time. It all made sense. I was literally sitting there with my mouth ajar.

"Remember the time, I was her lab partner in chem?" He paused for my nod. "Remember the time, I had to finish essays with her because we were put in random pairs?"

"Yeah, she told you that she is a PSB?" I finally moved my dry mouth.

"Kind of. More like I roused the truth out of her. There was a ghost that had been following me back then. Her best friend..."

"Her best friend is a ghost?" I tried to rationalize it, but it was too unconventional for me.

"Remember the time, I almost drowned in the lake and I fell ill during the mid-terms?"

"You mean a ghost did that to you? Why didn't you say to us about that?" Now Irsia was going nuts because he had hidden something serious from her, and Aiden was clueless that Irsia was getting worked up.

"Calm down. I'll allay your doubts."

Aiden went swimming in Crossburn lake when he was new to town. Back then, he and I weren't really close. He was just a neighbor of Irsia.

He nearly drowned in the lake, with his leg caught up in something. As he kept struggling, he apparently lost his energy after about 10 minutes and he started to drown. The next thing he knew, he was on the shore and Verena was near him.

"How did she know you were there?" Elec asked the questions while Irsia was basking in indignation.

"That is the interesting part!" he exclaimed. "The ghost that pulled me down into the water wanted to make it look like Verena saved me and so, I would become friends with her. It...," he dragged. "It wanted to make us an item," he trailed off, as if it would dampen the mortifying detail.

"Ewwww..." I felt disgusted at the thought that a ghost did this and who planned a life-threatening plan like that to set two people up? I laughed in a muddle-headed state.

"I'm glad you see the humor in this." Aiden retorted, but he smiled, too.

"Some story, Aiden." Elec didn't buy it.

Irsia remained silent. It was beginning to bother me. She was furious at Aiden for not telling her any of it.

"Just listen till the end," Aiden responded never losing his cool.