36. GHOULS?

CHAPTER 36

GHOULS?

❤❤

The footsteps were steady and striding toward me. I pulled the pepper spray from the pocket with my shivering, clammy hands. A thought flashed –what if it was Desiree? Before I spray it off, I should get a good look at who it was. I didn't want to injure Desiree if it was her and I didn't want to get injured if it was someone else. Before I could turn to get a good look, two hands gripped me from behind me. The grip around my waist was familiar and I knew who it was. I gasped a little surprised by the touch and then sighed, exhilarated at the familiarity. I just didn't think in any of my dreams that this would happen. Oh! God! He was going to be mad at me.

He whispered into my ear, "turn off the flash light." And I obeyed instantly. He hoisted me off the ground and in five seconds we weren't near the cemetery anymore. He let me down as we came to the road, where we saw Desiree appear first, but he didn't let go of his grip on my wrist. All the way to his car, he didn't say a word and I didn't either. He opened the door for me and gestured for me to get in. As he got in the car, the click confirmed that he locked the doors, as if I was going to escape. I was still shivering and the angry Aiden was not a good combination. Not that he was scary. It just wasn't a good time for him to be angry.

"I can't believe you did this," he stated, giving a thud on the steering wheel.

I expected this reaction from him, but I didn't budge. "You know, I could ask you the same thing."

He gave me a stare. What did he expect of me? To fear his stare? Oh! I've seen the stares that Mrs. Lin gave me at chemistry and the stares of my mother, alright. I wasn't going to be scared of his stare. Funny, I liked him staring at me like that. I had to stop studying every detail of his every feature. Because it wasn't helping at situations like this.

"Why do you think we didn't let you do your homework alone this evening?"

This came as a shock. I didn't realize they were trying to stall me from doing this. "You three planned against me?"

"Margo, we were trying to save your life." He held the steering wheel too tight and I was wondering if his knuckles would hurt. "Elec and Irsia didn't have the slightest idea that you would have the courage to leave home at the middle of the night like this, but I knew," he seared with another thud on the steering wheel.

"How?" I asked, with my voice so low with so much perplex. I was so confused at how he could read my mind and stop me from executing my plans.

"Because I know you don't go half way, Margo," He muttered softly this time. He wasn't angry now. His voice proved that I had put him through pins and needles. "Are you alright?" he asked his voice much more softer now, looking at his clenched fingers. I wished he would look at me.

"Are you mad at me?"

"I was." His eyes were wary at the direction of the cemetery.

"What changed?" I could already see something else shining in his eyes. It wasn't anger anymore. It was the purest of solicitude.

"Seeing you in your pajamas, under your raincoat, with a pepper spray protruding from your pocket, with your hair pulled in a tight bun, not to break your concentration and with that little flash light... I thank God –I got to see you like this." he turned toward me. His eyes detained mine. "and if you didn't do this, you wouldn't be my Margo."