21. IN THE DARK

CHAPTER 21

IN THE DARK

❤❤

A scream escaped my body and then I realized I wasn't in my room anymore. I was in a place where it was dark. It was the first time I knew eigengrau can be so threatening to break your sanity. All the silence was getting louder and louder. All I could hear was the breath of the ghost. It was strange that ghosts had breath. I was on the icy floor somewhere, and I knew the ghost was near me, blended with the ominous darkness. I couldn't stop the trembling. I was so close to giving into convulsions. Suddenly, the knifelike breath was not there anymore. Maybe the ghost moved away. Maybe it went away.

Could I run? But where to? Could I turn on the lights? But where were the switches? Could I scream? But who could actually hear me? Could I stretch my hand and feel my way through the darkness? But what if I touched the ghost? The questions were answered by questions. It was as if I had two voices. The shivers were getting stronger, that even my head began trembling. It was the kind of darkness to which the eyes would never adjust and see what was around. The shivers were the only thing that kept me thinking that I was alive.

I stood up with the leftover courage and walked in a random direction. I stopped as I hit on something. I guessed it was a wall. I stretched my shaky hands to feel what was on the wall. I thought I had touched a handle or a door knob. I didn't know what it was and I pulled it thinking it would open, but it didn't. The breaths returned and I froze. I leaned against the wall with my face pressing against the icy wall, closing my eyes tight that my eyelids ached. It touched my neck and my screams were scratching my throat.

It voiced my name a million times in a threatening whisper with a bloodcurdling cadence. I screamed as loud as I could, but it didn't take its fingers away. I eventually stopped the screams that could have torn my throat, but the fingers were still very still on my nape. My body drained from all the screaming, shaking and sweating. If it did succeed in possessing me, I knew my friends would know that I was not me. That was the only hope I hung onto.

It retracted its fingers and the breath, and I was free to move again. There was no use pulling and twisting the knob or whatever that was. I moved my involuntary body, trying to find the switches or door. The breathing and touching returned and this time, I didn't scream. I just froze there, but my shivers gave away. It left me again. It was playing a game of hide and seek with me in the dark. A game I could never win - not against a ghost. I held to the last fiber of hope that my friends would find me, but I had to try my part. It had to be two hours in the dark. Alone and cold with draining hope, stumbling and stretching my hand only to find darkness lacing around my fingers. I still couldn't find a door. I heard a faint screeching of a door. I turned toward the sound, and a light flashed straight at me.

"Margo?" came a familiar voice; loud and luminous.

Aiden had his flashlight pointed straight at me. Elec and Irsia helped me get out. I didn't know who the fourth figure and the fifth figure were behind them. I assumed one of them was Verena. I was taken out of the room and my guess was right. It had taken me to Auroville Villa. I was in one of the rooms upstairs. As I got down the stairs, I saw a sixth figure outside. I saw it through the window. Something wasn't right again. As soon as we rushed out the gates of Auroville Villa, I turned to see the fifth and sixth figure. I couldn't find them.

"Margo?" Aiden called out.

He pulled my wrist so that I would come to my senses. I shook free from his fist and was still searching.