4. HOLIDAY

CHAPTER 4

HOLIDAY

❤❤

"Unforeseen holidays are the best. Three days from today. Apparently, Declan and Desiree Gardiner are missing," Irsia declared. Irsia was in her high-rise, dark blue jeans and a loose-fitted white t-shirt tucked in.

Desiree? That sweet soul. I hoped they'd find her. Little did I know. So very little.

"We're having three days off!" Elec exclaimed. And when I turned to her to give her a stare, Aiden laughed. "Walker, that means you have to stay home."

Well, a nice week starter then. "God! I forgot about that."

"The CONMISDUM facility staffs are here in Ostonn Newvale to take Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner. I am so sorry, Margo," Irsia put her hand on my shoulder. "I know you were friends with her."

Desiree was my childhood neighbor. A really sweet girl and I loved her dog so much. Her dog was an adorable Corgidor. Then they had to move to Eastcrest. As the press rushed to the school premises, we were asked by the school staffs to go to our homes. If they knew I used to tutor her, I'd be in front page. They were already charging Desiree's friend -Natalie Eagar with questions. She told the press that she last saw her on Saturday. It was Monday. If at all Natalie was infected, she'd have gone missing by now. I stood there watching Natalie. Blank and stupid. That's when someone from the crowd pointed at me that I was tutoring her. Elec yanked me by my arm to load me in the car. Before my senses could hit me to open the car's door, the camera was on my face. Shit. Nice week.

"I used to tutor her up until last year," I corrected. "Last I saw her was at the school on Friday. I was sick on Saturday and I didn't come to school." I was pretty sure it was Fiona who yelled from the crowd that I tutor her. If my hatred could take a form, it would be Fiona.

"What about Declan Gardiner?" Some lady in red lipstick and a really professional grey blazer matching the weather asked me.

"Ask the boys. Ask Fiona Raddix and Kyle Miller. They are the best pals of him." Elec knew how to give slap-face answers. I didn't like the mention of both of their names.

"Nice one, Elec." Aiden chuckled.

"No one asked for your opinion, Aiden," Elec said, bitingly. She slid into the driver's seat with a flip of her ponytail, while I was already shotgun. We sped off.

We went back home and I spent the entire day in Elec's home watching news channels and movies. The news said that every measure taken by the police and the government had ended up in a several months of nothing but futility. Every news source had their own theory for CONMISDUM. From whom did Declan and Desiree get infected by the CONMISDUM was the question that even the news channels couldn't solve. Seeing my face in the news channel definitely wasn't on my bucket list. After a while, Elec and I ended up watching another video on the internet that the police had no commentary on the theory that an underground mobster is responsible for this. Reasons ranged from organ trafficking to slavery.

It was only Monday and I had to endure my mom's attitude and the phone calls until Thursday. I turned my phone off just so Elec wouldn't find out about the calls. My mom gave me a disgusted stare when she saw my face in the newspaper the next day. Yeah, I offered willingly to tell them that I used to tutor Desiree. The next two days were pure agony. I expended them indoors. My plans to go search Damon were not possible because my mom played the prison guard. I felt insomniac. Nights were the worst.

By Thursday, it was clear that no one else went missing after that and that we were safe. It was the first time that it had happened to someone in my school. I couldn't imagine a sweet girl like Desiree missing. I mean, her brother was a jerk. He kind of deserved it, but not Desiree. I really prayed that they would find her. But then again, no one who went missing had been found till date. I wished for a miracle.