51| Beneath the Tree

Previously: jenlisa fought, lisa went over to rosie's.

"Hey, anybody home?" Jisoo called, pushing open the Vault door. She was struck by the utter stillness of the place, usually filled with Lisa's boisterous laughter.

"Hello? Lisa? Jendeuk?" Jisoo called again as she padded further in. She was almost afraid to raise her voice, as though she were in a library about to be scolded.

She had finished her stipulated time at the office and had a pretty good run with her gaming stats today. On her way home, she was inspired to drop by the Vault and check on the sisters before they met up later to go to Ella's concert.

Nobody responded to her calls. Jisoo suspected they were still asleep—she vaguely remembered Lisa mentioning their typical schedule for the afternoon.

Curiosity welled up in Jisoo, pushing all thoughts of decorum out of her head as she hesitantly made her way to the very back of the Vault, where the ladder leading to the floor above stood.

Jisoo knew it led to a trapdoor, the entry to the attic—Jennie and Lisa's home. 

She had never seen the interior of their living quarters before, though she sometimes wondered. But now, she was suddenly struck by an overwhelming desire to check it out.

Surely, if Jennie was around she would have heard her yelling and checked out  the intruder? Maybe the sisters had actually stepped out?

Jisoo dithered, her curiosity winning over the longer she waited for someone to stop her.

A quick peek wouldn't hurt anyone. 

Once she made up her mind, Jisoo moved stealthily, like a burglar moving in a household, quiet and light on her feet.

The step ladder gave the tiniest of creaks as Jisoo ascended with bated breath, testing the trapdoor as she pushed. It gave way when she pushed, opening up silently.

Inwardly cheering, Jisoo hastily popped up into the attic, her eyes swivelling back and forth as she took in the cramped but tidy space.

What she didn't expect to find was Jennie curled up in a ball with her face buried in her knees, quiet dry sobs racking her body and papers scattered around her.

Jisoo almost fell down the step-ladder in shock. The movement didn't go unnoticed by Jennie who  looked up, startled.

"Chu?" Jennie sniffed. "What are you doing here?"

"I uh...I thought nobody was home and wanted to look around," Jisoo said weakly. "I'm sorry, I'll let you be, I'll just..."

When Jennie didn't answer except for looking away, Jisoo nodded, taking it as her cue for overstepping her welcome.

"Right, I'll see you later then Jendeuk."

"Don't you want to know why?" Jennie asked without turning.

Jisoo swallowed, trying to gauge the meaning behind Jennie's even tone. "Why what?"

A beat, and then Jennie came clean, voice wavering the slightest at the end. "Why I was crying."

"I do," Jisoo said immediately. "Of course I do Jen. I'm nosy and I poke my nose everywhere but especially when my friends are hurt or sad in some way. But I've already made things awkward so...I don't want to force you to...to talk about it. Unless you want to?"

She shifted hesitantly, longing to get the courage to fly up the remaining steps and crush the shorter girl in a hug. But instead she waited, because it was Jennie's call to reach out.