10| Stiff

"Your neck's a little stiff Irene, that's why you feel uncomfortable," Jennie was explaining to the seated woman as she pressed around various points on the woman's nape. "I can help set it right."

"You....you sure?" Irene sounded nervous. "Ughh, I don't even know how this happened, I try to keep the area as tension-free as possible..."

"Relax, keep your head relaxed and free."

Jennie stood behind the older woman, one knee on the bench to have the upper footing. She gently held Irene's head from the base of the skull and jaw, letting it roll over her palm to ensure it was relaxed. Irene's head lolled freely and Jennie readied herself.

"Irene no need to tense up, I do this sometimes on Lisa," Jennie said softly, "keep it free and—"

In one fluid motion, she jerked Irene's head.

Crack! 

Jennie released Irene and backed away as the older woman stared in astonishment, jaw slack. She rolled her neck and shoulders. "Wow!....wow.....You did it!"

"I think you could do with another one for your shoulder muscle, here," Jennie pointed and positioned her hands again. "Relax and—"

Pop!

Irene could only gape in delight. "Wow, I didn't even realise there was that much tension!"

"She's good right?" Lisa called proudly, squatting with a medicine ball. "Always fixed me good and proper!"

"Same here!" Momo agreed as she paused from her round on the punching balloon.

"Hwangssabu's girl through and through!" Matthew joined in.

"I learned from the best," Jennie shrugged, slightly pink.

"Popping necks is scary," Somi laughed uneasily. She had been watching Jennie closely. "I don't think I'd be able to do it. What if you jerked too much and...and broke their necks?" she shuddered.

"I had practice on cats. Poor things, really," Jennie said casually before chuckling at Somi and Irene's ashen faces. "Kidding. It's just, I used to watch Hwangssabu a lot. And he used to do it a lot on me, I got stiff so easily...." she trailed off, eyes distant. "He showed me the technique—I used to try on him too..."

"You definitely picked it up!" Irene said quickly as she stood up and rolled her neck again for good measure, "thanks sweetie. How can I repay you?"

"Oh no, Irene it's just—"

"Please. You have no idea how stiff I slept last night, it was awful! Had me snapping like a piranha at my poor neighbour."

Irene turned to her sports bag then slapped her forehead. "Oh look, silly me! I didn't even get my thermos today! Let me treat you to a coffee."

The short brunette's eyes widened. "Oh no, really, it's nothing—"

"I insist!" Irene insisted.

"Um...but I...I..." Jennie turned back hesitantly to Lisa and Momo.

"Go ahead Jen, I'm sure I can hold down the fort if burglars come in to get our stash," Lisa winked.

"And I'll be here," Momo added, putting an arm round her neck. 

"Wow I feel so much safer," Matthew quipped, laughing when Lisa threw him a dirty glare.

"Somi dear, wanna come with us?" Irene invited. "Is that okay Matthew?"

"Sure, I got a good half hour before I finish," he grunted, dark patches forming at his armpits under his T-shirt.

"What! But she's still got her sets to do with me!" Lisa cried indignantly. "Oi you! Don't think that you're skipping leg day! I'll get you later!"

"Not today, loser!" Somi crowed with glee. She threaded an arm through Jennie's and an arm through Irene's. "Let's go unnies. Toodles!"

"How dare you 'toodles' me, that's my line—"

Somi sauntered out of the Vault without another glance.

Lisa sighed deeply at their departing backs. "Kids," she said to Momo.

"Yeah..."

"They grow so fast...." Lisa added, her eyes taking on a wistful glaze.

"Uhmm...that's what kids normally do I guess..."

"I remember like it was yesterday that I called that kid a brat and she called me a prick back." Lisa continued, reminiscing.

"But...wasn't that yesterday?" Momo frowned, scratching her head. 

"Exactly."

"Ladies, I think you should probably get on with your workouts," Matthew called with a chuckle, "or Jennie will be super mad once she comes back."

"Oh please Matt, we got plenty of time. They're gonna have a long girl chat to catch up, trust me on this one, it's what girls do. You're gonna regret letting Somi go."

"So you're not a girl?" Momo snickered.

"Shut up Momo."

"I'm just saying..."

"Look, I'm not one to talk about that kinda stuff...like whatever they talk about. I'm a guy kind of girl. One of the guys, y'know what I'm saying? They're more the feelsy kind of girls. I'm the bro kind."

"Why do you think we call you Limario?" Momo grinned and fist bumped with Lisa. "But I'm with ya...bro. Talking about girly feelsy stuff always has me nervous."

"You got a girl though now, you gotta start wiring up for that kinda shat now, eh?"

"Eh, it's not so bad, Dahyun gets me. We Skyped a lot while I was away, she's on my frequency, ya get me?"

"Sweet. Hey, I'mma grab my bagel while the coast is clear."

"You haven't even done a proper cool down!"Momo protested, pausing her sit-ups.

But Lisa ignored her, already drooling once the aroma of fried bacon and egg hit her nose. "Hey there good lookin', come to mama."

Momo scrunched up her nose in disgust at the small  noises Lisa made as she chomped and gulped and licked her fingers. 

"Gawd, tone it down will ya? You sound so lewd."

"What can I say? You need bleach for your imagination," Lisa said thickly. "I'mma give this bagel the attention it deserves for the next hour."

 Momo snickered. "What makes you think you got an hour?"

"Please, I thought you were experienced with the ladies! Ask Matt—three girls meet up for a chat over coffee? Ain't nobody leavin' before a solid hour passes. I don't even know how he let Mimi go."

"She likes...to hang with...her unnies," he shrugged, puffing as he pushed up and down. "It's been a...while since....they hung....out. She... told me she...misses you...all...together. So...I thought....why not?"

"Well good luck getting to work on time then," Lisa winked.