18| Neighbour

Everyone had been excited for Lisa. It was like she had multiple doting parents sending her off on her first day at school. 

And she was definitely loving the attention. 

Lisa would be lying if she said the flurry of activity didn't make her heart twinge in nostalgia. She soon pushed those feelings aside and was soon swept up with important matters such as cleaning up and choosing what to wear, as though she was heading out on a first date.

The highly charged atmosphere present as everyone helped her prepare before sending her off on her big adventure only increased her excitement and she forgot about her previous disdain for attending.

Thankfully, nobody dropped by in the afternoon, leaving Jennie to focus solely on preparing Lisa. She had sprinted to the laundromat with Lisa's favourite shirt in the morning, because Lisa discovered a stain on it and was adamant on wearing it to her session, for good luck. 

Somi had gotten her a knapsack to put in a towel and a change of clothes. Irene had managed to sneak back to the gym during her work break and was attempting to apply some light make up on Lisa. 

Keyword being attempting.

"oOHH, rED LipstICK PleASE PLease!" Lisa begged as she rummaged through Irene's makeup bag with the enthusiasm of a hyperactive five-year old, "I waNna! I haven't tried one in so long! And ooh eyeshadow! Are you kidding me, you have Fenty mascara? I want wings! Pleaseeeeee?"

"We said light make-up Lisa, we're not turning you into a clown cos' you already are one," Jennie reprimanded, "now let Irene work."

"Oh yeah remember that time, Lisa turned herself into the Joker?" Somi giggled. 

"How could I forget?" Jennie chuckled.

"It was that one time—"

"It was every time."

Lisa had been somewhat make-up obsessed back before when she and Jennie had more freedom to roam around. She loved visiting the beauty shops at the mall and trying out samples, but her technique in lipstick application lacked the finesse of the likes of Somi and Jennie. More often than not, she ended up looking like a kid with a face smeared with tomato sauce. 

Matthew had given Lisa an energy protein bar in the morning to have after she was done with the session—according to him, he always had one at hand for when Somi finished because she always emerged ravenous after the workout.

"Are you really gonna be wearing that shirt?" Somi asked, wrinkling her nose.

"Why? It's clean now." 

"Yeah but 'Unicorns are real' ?" Somi said, pointing out the tagline written on the shirt, "that doesn't scream maturity to me."

"I agree with Somi," piped up Irene. "You gotta show a mature, serious image."

"Unnie back me up!" Lisa whined. Jennie didn't pay attention as she was busy dusting and wiping Lisa's sneakers. Lisa sighed and threw her arms up in exasperation.

"You two grannies need to lighten up. It's my favourite lucky shirt and I'm wearing it, so there!" she said loftily, her nose high in the air. "FYI, unicorns might be real too!"

"Settle down Lis. Now, remember to be polite and don't speak brash, first impressions go a long way," Jennie fussed as she handed her sister the clean sneakers and smoothed down Lisa's T-shirt.

"Yes Mom," Lisa said sarcastically.

"Don't move or I'll poke you in the eye," Irene warned, waving her mascara brush.