39| The First Match

warning for mild violence and language i guess?

note: continues from previous chapter

Exhausted by her unexpected nightly excursion, Rosé finally made it back to her apartment and shut the door, leaning against it with eyes closed as she took a deep breath. The familiar scent of her surroundings welcomed her.

"Mom?" Ella appeared in the corridor clutching Flora, rubbing her eyes with the other hand. "You're back early."

"Yes baby." Rosé crouched to her knees, opening her arms for a hug and lovingly kissing Ella's temple once her daughter moved into her embrace. "Couldn't sleep?"

"Leo keeps crying." Ella wrinkled her nose. "You smell awful again Mommy."

"Darn cigarettes, I know," Rosé said wearily and yawned. "I'll check on Leo after I wash up, okay?"

She noticed Ella fidgeting. "What is it El?"

"Um...are you going to sleep in my room again?" Ella asked shyly. "It's...nice."

"You heard me sneak in your bed last time?"

"I hear you every time."

Rosé smiled. Tender moments like these was when all the shame and pain and humiliation she suffered melted away, her daughter's voice like a soothing balm on her wounded spirit. Ella made her keep fighting to endure—she hadn't exaggerated when she told Lisa that Ella was the one thing that kept her going through difficult times.

"You sure you're not too old for that, then? Sure you wouldn't be embarrassed?"

She chuckled when Ella shook her head vigorously. "Then wait for me, I'll be back soon."

After a hot cleansing shower, she went to Ella's room with a comb and a towel draped over her shoulder to find the girl stroking the distressed kitten in her lap, her stuffed bunny Flora sitting next to her.

"He keeps rootling around and crying in the box and waking Oliver up," Ella sighed as she scooted to make space for Rosé. "I didn't know what to do."

"Give him to me. Now, would you like to comb my hair?"

Ella's eyes sparkled. "Yes please! Can I plait it again?"

"I think it's a bit too late for that sweetie. Next time okay?" Rosé compromised. She didn't feel like untangling knots late into the night and missing out on more sleep.

They swapped the comb for the kitten, with Rosé comfortably sitting cross-legged stroking the mewling kitten as Ella sat up on her knees to brush her mother's long blonde hair. The pleasant soothing sensation of the comb's teeth scraping her scalp almost put Rosé to sleep weren't it for Leo's restless attempts to roam. At least, his despondent miaowing had decreased but he clearly still had energy to spare.

She finally gave up and let him travel across the expanse of the bed, smiling as he stumbled and regained his balance whilst plodding over the soft bedding as though in search of something, or more specifically, someone.

"I think he misses Lisa," Rosé concluded. "He's grown attached to her. So he keeps looking for her."

"What are we going to do?"

"Try and get him to sleep anyway. There's not much we can do right now."

"Don't let him fall off Mom," Ella warned when Leo strayed dangerously close to the edge.

"Don't worry, I got him," her mother reassured, bringing Leo closer from the scruff of his neck. They were quiet for a few moments, basking in the peace of the semi-darkness. The only source of light in the room was Ella's The Little Mermaid lamplight.