38| Understanding

"...three two one—CHANGE!"

Lisa dropped the weights and moved to the next station: battle ropes.

She moved her arms rapidly in sync as she snapped the ropes like whips, the Vault echoing with the deafening thumps when they hit the floor. She gritted her teeth, sweat dripping from her brow as she worked her arms harder. Her muscles gave a delicious sting with each movement and her front was soaked in sweat.

Jennie prowled behind her, scrutinising Lisa's form and barking out random words that Jisoo couldn't decipher from her post on a bench. 

It was the day of the opening night for the Purge and tension was running high for the sisters—neither Jennie nor Lisa showed signs of slowing down as time wore on. 

Jisoo popped in the morning as usual to find the Vault a hive of activity consisting of Lisa running around the gym as she jumped from one station to the next in rapid succession, with Jennie barking orders.

"They're preparing for tonight," Irene had filled in. 

Jisoo stood and stared, frowning at the spectacle before her. "But shouldn't Lisa take it easy? Pasta said so. Besides, she could hurt herself, and she'll be tired out."

"You think I didn't try telling them?" Irene sighed and waved in Jennie's direction. "If you wanna give it a go, maybe Jennie will listen to you." They both turned to look back at the sisters.

Both trainer and boxer were in tank-tops, grey globes forming underneath their armpits letting Jisoo know they had been going at the relentless exercises for some time.

The Vault was otherwise empty except for Matthew—Jisoo knew that the other girls that usually came in were due to start exams today as well. Their presence would have been helpful right now as Jisoo gulped and timidly approached the brunette trainer.

"Keep at it! If I see you slacking that will be another three sets of weights, ya hear me?" Jennie bellowed before she turned to Jisoo with a tight smile. "Morning Chu. Sorry, I'm a bit busy today, you can go get started and I'll pass around some time soon."

"Jendeuk, it's okay. But don't you think you should—"

"Hold that thought." Jennie whipped her head back to yell at Lisa. "Skip higher! Lift your leg higher come on, work those thighs, you lazy slug! I want them rock hard and ready for tonight!"

The she turned back to Jisoo with a slight cough. "Ughh, sore throat. I'm sorry, you were saying?"

"Uh, you sound like my P.E teacher," Jisoo laughed nervously, voice high and squeaky. "Hey, so here's an idea—Lisa is going to be all tired out for tonight so how about a break—"

"No."

"A teeny tiny weeny break—"

"No."

"....not even a weeny tiny teeny break?"

"Nothing Jisoo. The Purge is tonight and she's facing Shadow. She gotta be ready, Shadow isn't an easy adversary. I want her prepared," Jennie barked back, making Irene flinch in her corner.

But Jisoo was used to Jennie barking and snapping so she didn't even flinch. "Oh but won't this tire her out? And she's up against Shadow....is this Shadow fast around the ring, like her namesake then? Lisa should conserve her energy—"

"Lisa can take it, Chu," Jennie  said, her voice brittle. "Now if you'll excuse me."

Jisoo was left to look on, torn and conflicted. She noticed the usual box of bagels was still sitting on Jennie's desk.