42| Ringmaster

TW: mature scenes and violence

Irene tapped the steering wheel, mouth pursed into a thin line.

Nerves.

It didn't help that the onset of summer was already making its presence known, with the muggy afternoon air serving to irritate her further as she waited.

Yet, Irene swallowed down her annoyance the moment she detected movement at the entrance to the gym Sulgi attended with that woman.

Irene's initial dislike of Seulgi's girlfriend hadn't gone away—if anything, the animosity she nursed for Seungwan increased day by day, accompanied by a curious hollow feeling in her heart as her stomach twisted into knots when they did their little kissing show.

Irene had no doubt that Seungwan staged the slobber stunt for one person and one person only: Irene herself. The older woman would be left to clench her jaw as poison threatened to spill from her mouth until Seungwan let Seulgi go.

Irene was 200% sure that the little smirk Seulgi's girlfriend threw in the direction of Irene's car (where Irene was sitting inside behind tinted glasses) was meant as a warning: Mine.

And each time, Irene would scoff and huff. As though she would even make any move on Seulgi! She didn't like the clumsy, adorable bumbling teacher like that. 

Yes alright, Irene had to admit Seulgi was cute when her nose turned red after drinking a little too much wine. 

And yes, sure, Seulgi's little giggles made her day.

Fine, yes: having Seulgi over for dinner had become the highlight of Irene's day and hearing Seulgi call her 'Joohyun' in that mellifluous voice made the goosebumps erupt all over her body.

And so what, Seulgi looked so much like she belonged in Irene's little kitchen, giggling and laughing together over mugs of hot chocolate as they gossiped and swapped stories about themselves as though they had known each other for years.

And yeah, she would admit to having fantasies about backing Seulgi against the nearest door and kissing her silly but so? That was probably her hormones or the wine talking. As far as she was concerned she was straight as a ruler. Right?

But although Irene had gotten used to Seungwan's show with Seulgi (well sort of—there was still that traitorous clench of her heart to contend with each time) what had her more disconcerted was Seulgi's gradual and insidious transformation. 

Irene was on tenterhooks, waiting at the edge of her seat once she saw the both of them exiting the gym and commence their saliva swap.

What was it gonna be today?  Irene thought dully. A quick dismissive wave? Snapping like a crocodile? The cold shoulder? The moody sullen teenager? Or is she going to ride with Seungwan today?

She watched the two women part, tasting something bitter in her mouth as Seungwan lifted up on her toes to whisper something in Seulgi's ear. Seulgi had her back turned so Irene couldn't see her expression, but she did see the smug look on Seungwan's face as she trailed a finger down Seulgi's face. The image made Irene clench her fingers into claws.

Then Seungwan headed to her own car and Seulgi turned away, head down as she strolled towards Irene.

>

Lately—Irene couldn't quite tell when it started—Seulgi's mood turned volatile.

It was quite a difference from the ever shy and smiling Seulgi Irene had gotten to know but she bore with it because at first, it hadn't been such a big deal. Everyone had a bad day once in a while.