26| Irene

"I do wonder if Momo and Dahyun ended things already?" Irene sighed as she poured coffee from the thermos. "They were together for what, a month and a couple weeks? It's not like I was expecting Momo to settle down at all but...when will she ever get tired of going through girls like hot cakes? People these days...it astounds me."

"Sssssh," Jennie said delicately, "she'll hear us."  

She eyed Dahyun skipping the rope next to Lisa, who had devoured her bagel and was back on her routine immediately. Jennie had never seen her sister wolf her breakfast down so quickly. She was pushing as hard as ever to make up for the past days absent from training. Somi meanwhile was practising her dance routine in front of the mirror with earbuds, nodding her head to the music.

"I was just wondering," Irene shrugged, "but Momo's girl seems to have grown fond of this place."

"I'm just happy she didn't go running away like the others...well, yet. I'm not sure if she and Momo have broken up but they haven't Face timed again since two days ago..." Jennie was thoughtful. "How about you unnie?"

Irene spluttered and stared at her, aghast. 

"Jennie, are you insinuating that I should get involved with Dahyun?  First things first I'm straight, second I'm old enough to be her mother, and third: the sheer immoral—"

Jennie chuckled. "No! Unnie stop!" She composed herself, her eyes still twinkling. "I never meant to imply that!"

"Oh..." Irene bit her lip foolishly. "Then...?"

Jennie grinned. "I was just asking about you, how are you doing in life? Dating anyone? You once said that Junmyeon guy from work was giving you the eye..."

"What's with the sudden interest in my love life?" Irene raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, we met up a couple times with other colleagues. Nothing major."

"Oh, sweet! I'm happy for you! Now I wanna know the details!" Jennie said delighted. "You deserve someone who can take care of you and he sounds nice—"

"What? You're dating a guy?!"

Somi was suddenly standing next to them, her mouth hanging open. Her earbuds were clenched tightly in her hand. "But...but what about Seulgi? I...I shipped you guys."

Irene shook her head gently at the younger girl. "Not every interaction with another woman has to necessarily mean we'll end up together. Seulgi is merely a good neighbour of mine, a friend at most. I don't even know her that well. And I'm afraid I'm straight. Sorry."

Somi nodded, her face downcast. "It's okay, I understand. I mean, I'm straight too. I just thought..." She nodded again and left them to join her father who was packing up. Jennie chuckled fondly.

"She really wanted you to be with this Seulgi..."

"Just because I cooked her dinner once," Irene sighed. "Kids these days are starving for romance it seems."

"Well, life certainly isn't some fairy-tale for her. Think about it, she never even got the chance to see her parents be happy together and doing normal couple things so I guess it's only natural she transfers those desires on the next best substitutes—us."

Irene chuckled. "Yeah, but why pair me up with a woman she has never even seen? Seulgi is very reserved, her socials have all landscape photos as profile pictures."

"Well, maybe that made it all the more interesting. And I don't believe you spoke about Junmyeon openly in front of her before so....she jumped on the first ship."

Irene laughed again as Jennie smiled and turned to wave at the departing girl and her father.

 "See you next week Mimi! Good day Matt!"