Always you (Flip Zimmerman)

Summary: Flip just isn't the same after you two break up...

------------------

There wasn't a lot Flip regretted. He was a firm believer in letting things go, whatever happens, happens. If he made a decision, he didn't dwell on it. Even if it wasn't what he wanted, he moved on. He failed a test during the academy? He studied harder. He didn't close a case as soon as he thought? He worked harder. There were things he couldn't control and that was okay. He was content with his fate and whatever was coming his way...

So why couldn't he stop thinking about you?

It's been months since you two broke up. At the time, the excuse for your break up seemed valid but now? He had so many reasons he could have fought for you. He was an idiot for letting you go. There wasn't a day that went by that he missed you.

He tried everything to forget you. No amount of causal fucks or beers would get you off his mind.

He always felt disgusting after calling a cab for whatever girl he was trying to replace you with. It was some fucking joke, how many times he almost said your name to them, finding the ones who resembled you the most. None of them could satisfy him, no matter how hard he fucked. They weren't you.

They would never be you.

It seemed like his phone even missed you. He felt pathetic, looking through old pictures of you two together, knowing how dumb he was back then. He wished he could've told himself back then, that you were the best thing that would happen to him.

He should have never let you walk out that door.

His best friend, Ron, would always tell him to pick up the phone and call you. He figured the time you two spent apart would have been good for you two. It was the space you needed to calm down.

But what if Flip was someone you didn't want to talk about? What if you couldn't unpack the baggage he left you? There were so many things he said... would you be able to forget about them? Would you be able to forgive him?

Flip was miserable, feeling the hole in his chest that you left behind. The day you walked out the door was the day he shattered. Normally, he wouldn't be so hung up on anyone, not even his first love. He was quick to move on with his other relationships, them never being anything real.

He felt like he was a little boy, falling so fucking easy for you. The first day he saw you, he knew he was in trouble. You were everything he's ever wanted... So how dumb was he for letting you go?

He felt foolish and naive for letting you crawl under his skin like this. It's been so many months and you still had your nails sunk into him. He felt so... lost. All this time while you were gone, he didn't know who he was without you.

Whether he liked it or not, you had your claim on him and no one could compare to you. Flip was miserable, knowing letting you go was the healthy thing to do.

He could have easily deleted all the photos and messages between you two, erasing all traces of you. He could have found a new place, leaving behind the memories of you two together. He could have gotten a new bed, putting himself in a position to actually move on.

He should have done it a long time ago but he couldn't. He couldn't let you go so easily. It felt... wrong. He would never be able to forgive himself for doing that. Not when he wasn't ready to say goodbye to you.

With this, it was hard for him to go home sometimes. He thought bringing your look-alikes would ease the pain, at least for a few hours. The only thing it did was hurt him more. Even when he laid beside someone else, he could still smell your scent on the sheets.