Abditory

abditory (n.) a place where into which you can disappear; a hiding place.

"Sometimes you just need a break. In a beautiful place. Alone. To figure everything out."

I laid on my couch in my living room. I had a red blanket for the holidays. I see the maids and butlers have already put up the Christmas tree and decorations. Last time I put the decorations up with my family was when I was 10. I had a bowl of popcorn next to me and hot cocoa. I wore plaid pajamas with a black cropped hoodie. The fireplace was on and I put on some Christmas music on the tv. My sketchbook laid on my lap as I drew. Upstairs somewhere is a painting room my parents made just for me. I rarely paint though.

"You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer"

The picture I drew was of a Christmas tree. On top of a star was a family holding hands. I shaded in the ornaments in the tree and the foil sparkling garlands.

"Rudolf the red nosed reindeer had a very shiny nose"

I placed all the gifts my friends gave me under the tree. Hurtfully Enzo didn't give me a present.I don't expect my parents to give me anything. I think they've ran out of things to give me. I hardly want to write. I responded to my mum's letter to be polite. I told her that me and Theadore are no longer a thing and school is great. Also that I do not wish to go with her anywhere.

Suddenly I heard a car pull up. A honk came from locking the doors. My brows furrowed and I got up. I looked out of my window and my eyes widened seeing who came out of the car. Together. Yet both of them look like they were screaming at eachother.

My parents.

I saw my mom. Wearing a black fur coat with a red blouse inside. She wore black dress pants with a gucci belt. No hat or sunglasses. She had her purse in her hand that is red leather with a golden circle for decoration. Her hair curled like always in a half up half down. She had her infamous red lipstick on. My dad had a black overcoat as he wore his suit. His hair is perfectly done showing off his complexion. The imperfect perfect couple.

The door opened.

"Where is my darling, daughter?" Mum called from the front door. I thinned my lips with my eyes closed bracing myself. I saw the maids scramble to the door to get their jackets.

"If you yell any louder she won't be able to hear you" I heard my dad say. His deep yet breath catching voice that makes all the women drool. Ew.

"Oh shut it, Ethan. I already dealt with you the whole plane ride dragging you back here. You might as well sleep in the south wing" My mum hissed. I got up and headed straight toward the door. I saw my mum looking around as she handed her coat to the maids. Same as dad. Both of them saw me come in.

"Awe my poor, darling" She came over and hugged me tightly til I couldn't breathe.

"Mum... I can't... breath" I tried pulling away. She finally let me go.

"How are you?" She asked, with sympathy.

"I'm fine" I backed away.

"No you're not. I can't believe that toad wizard broke up with you. I would send bloody lawyers-"

"Mum. Stop it" I cut her off. She looked at me a bit surprised I snapped a little. "What are you two doing here anyways?"

Dad came and walked next to mum. Mum answered, "Well as much as I want to see the winter fashion line I saw this nice family in Italy. It made me jealous. So obviously I decided to... cancel, drag your father back home and spend Christmas together."