| 38 | désespérer

This chapter is dedicated to starsyst for always supporting the story

This chapter is dedicated to starsyst for always supporting the story. Your comments are so motivating so thank you so much <3

Pain.

It has become my closest friend.

The pain I'm referring to far transcends the physical kind.

For it has anchored itself in the darkest corners of my soul.

To the point where I don't even know the kind of person, I'd be without it.

The repetitive thoughts cease to end despite the dominating music of the club.

So taking a shot is the solace I need to erase the events that have occurred in the past 48 hours.

I squeeze my eyes shut, feeling the burning sensation of the liquid slowly consume my lungs.

Anchoring my lifeless gaze to my phone, I watch the incoming phone calls from the same unknown number without taking the initiative to answer.

The vibration stops before a text message displays on the screen.

You're doing it again, shutting me out.

I know you mentioned wanting to process everything alone but I can't help but worry about you.

Anaya, you're all I can think about. Every day and night, you're the only one my mind keeps racing back to.

So put me out of my misery and answer my calls.

Tell me where I can find you.

— Unknown

My heart catapults but I ignore the sensation by gulping the alcoholic drink.

I'm not surprised he managed to get my number.

Knowing I gave my number to Stalon, it was bound to happen.

And it also explains how Ludovic was able to use my number to track me a few days ago when I confronted Tatianna.

Needless to say, I ensured to turn off my location to avoid being tracked down again.

"You got into a fight or something?" I shift my gaze to Devin who sits on the stool next to me.

He calls the bartender to order a drink before anchoring his focus back to me.

The bruises on my face must've given it away.

I usually make the effort to conceal the bruises with makeup when going to work.