| 16 | jeu d'échecs

Confusion is written all over Devin's face as neither of us can say a word in the following seconds

He shakes his head as he snorts in disbelief.

In a nanosecond, his state of puzzlement is replaced by a dominant scowl.

His expression says it all.

A part of me understands his reason for being protective but then again, he's been nothing but spiteful towards me for the past year.

How can I accept his intervention when his goal has been to torment me incessantly?

"How can you be so stupid?" Devin snarls, his livid eyes still fixated on me, "If you know his intentions then why the heck are you allowing him to take advantage of you?"

I shift my gaze to the floor as I can't find any words to say.

"This isn't like you, Anaya," he continues his period of intervention as I fidget in silence, "and you, give me one good reason why I shouldn't break your face."

That statement is enough to anchor my attention on Devin who approaches Ludovic in an intimidating manner as he folds his fingers tightly.

Ludovic doesn't appear intimidated the slightest as he stands his ground in indifference.

As soon as Devin grabs a fist of Ludovic's collar, that's my cue to separate them immediately before things get a lot messier than they already are.

Panic begins to consume all my senses as I launch towards them. "Devin please don—"

"You took my warning as a joke?" Devin's voice takes a darker tone as he raises a fist, "I thought I made myself bloody clear that day. Since it didn't sink in, maybe a hit will knock some sense into you."

"DEVIN STOP," I scream in lividness which is enough to pause his movement before he slowly tilts his head to my direction.

"That's enough," I reiterate in desperation by the time I'm standing a few inches away from them, "You've made your point, alright? Punching him won't resolve anything."

Hotheaded, Devin still latches onto Ludovic as he refuses to comply, "We're way past the point of having a civilized conversation. He needs to be taught a lesson—"

The sound of Ludovic's chuckle is enough to intercept Devin's phrase before his chuckles morph into uncontrollable laughter.

"You think this is fucking funny?" Devin roars as he tightens the grip he has on him.

Seconds pass as Ludovic continues to laugh to his own satisfaction.

Once Ludovic manages to calm down, he hurls Devin's arm away in a fast motion.

"Y-you're gonna teach me a l-lesson?" Ludovic reiterates in a mocking tone before his voice takes a vicious tone, "You're lucky your sister's here to stop me from destroying you. Don't provoke me, little boy."