| 01 | signal

This chapter is dedicated to BlingingWitch for designing the amazing cover above

This chapter is dedicated to BlingingWitch for designing the amazing cover above. It is absolutely stunning so thank you so much for going out of your way to designing it <3

༄        ༄       ༄

The crowd gives a round of applause to the CEO of OneLife who's about to accept the Business of the Year award.

As he's delivering his speech on stage, I sip my white wine.

Regardless of our business rivalry, the accolade is well deserved.

"You should've won," Yara whispers as everyone applauds again once he ends his speech.

All I do is wear a closed smile before shrugging.

With or without an award, I know all the milestones I've accomplished with my company throughout my business career and that's all that matters.

The sudden feeling of being watched causes me to fidget.

It's then my unrelenting eyes track his piercing gaze.

Ludovic who's sat at a different table has made it his mission to keep staring at me from a distance thinking I wouldn't notice.

And despite my best attempt to avoid his commanding glance, nothing seems to be working.

His stares usually generate a sense of disorientation within and it's no different tonight.

Nonetheless, I'm first to break eye contact as I shift my attention back to the stage.

He knows what he's doing but this time around, I won't get entangled in his whirlwind.

Hundreds of business owners from CEOs to upcoming entrepreneurs are gathered in the gala to assist the National Business Awards.

Everyone is undoubtedly dressed to impress and I'm guilty of this myself.

After all, my mochaccino glittery gown probably has to be one of my favorite looks to date.

"Every year, we honour businesswomen in celebration of their remarkable business achievements. In the corporate world, women currently account for 5% of CEO positions at Fortune 500 companies.

"This statistic reveals that there is a great leadership gender gap and a lot of work needs to be done for more females to be taken into consideration in the business industry."

Everyone remains silent as the presenter begins her announcement.

"So this next award is given to an inspiring businesswoman who has fought against all odds to show outstanding leadership skills throughout her career with a company that continues to generate billions in annual revenue," she continues.