| 07 | déboussolé

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE REMIND me why I agreed to attend this summer bash again? Because I'm seriously starting to reconsider my attendance.

As I'm reassessing my choice to cop-out during the car ride, the soothing song playing on the radio of Tatiana's car somewhat loosens me up.

On a Saturday, the party is set to start unconventionally in the afternoon.

The girls ensured to be on their best dressed since on one hand, you have Yara who chose to wear a light pink backless dress with shoulder straps. The colour of her dress compliments her makeup done to perfection.

On the other hand, Tatiana probably mistook the event for prom given her gold V-Neck sleeveless sparkly dress of a floor-length with her makeup equally as gorgeous as Yara's.

Out of the three of us, I'm the only one to have styled my hair in long curls whereas Yara settled for a slicked-down ponytail and Tatiana opted for a straight hairstyle.

Being on my best dressed at events has always been a must. Hence, I chose a more simple yet black elegant sleeveless gown comprised of a split on the side.

Silver earrings and a small silver necklace were chosen to compliment the dress, making them the outfit's saving grace.

"So let me get this straight, part of Ludovic's plan of returning to Seattle was purely for revenge purposes?" Yara queries in disbelief halfway through the car ride.

"I honestly don't know what's going on through his head," I respond flatly while staring absentmindedly at the side window.

Silence reigns.

Yara throws a glance over her shoulder to meet my gaze ; a mischievous grin imprinted on her face, "I think he's still not over you."

I throw her a dumbfounded expression. "Yeah, that explains the supermodel girlfriend who was by his side yesterday," I recall in a sarcastic tone of voice.

Yara averts her gaze back to the windscreen. "Ever heard of revenge sex during a post-breakup? I believe that's what's happening to him."

My face morphs into disdain, "Yara! It's been six years, I'm sure he got over it. And please, that's way too much detail I don't need to know."

I love Yara to death but one of her off-putting attributes is her helpless romantic character.

She always fantasizes scenarios she sees on tv in the hopes they'll occur someday in the real world.

In my opinion, her ideals of the perfect romance are unrealistic and childish.

"What did you guys talk about when he came to your office?" Tatiana questions out of curiosity as her eyes are fixated on the road while she continues to drive down the highway.

I furrow my eyebrows.

Tatiana's behavior lately has been off-putting given her lack of enthusiasm for my decision to tag along. A small part of me can't help but wonder if she's not being upfront about something.

I end up dismissing the thought before telling myself she probably has a lot on her mind.

"Nothing worth mentioning." comes my assertive response as I throw a glance at the rearview mirror just in time to see her roll her eyes.

Perplexed by her weird demeanour, I let it go.

The remainder of the drive to the bash consists of occasional words exchanged between Yara and I.

Tatiana and I end up making small talk that feels more strained than fluid.

The car finally comes to a halt an hour later.