XXI.

Deku's POV

"So that's it?" Alex asked. "You didn't want to tell me that a lunatic has written my name and the word 'doom' over the building? What am I, five?"

I stared at her blankly. Did I mishear something? 

"She is a frickin' legend! I like you, kid", Hawks burst into laughter.

"Alright, out", I sighed nervously. "Talk to you later. Please", I told him and gave him a begging look to leave. 

He shrugged his shoulders and went to the doors. Before he went out he made a silly grimace and waved shortly before leaving. I sigh of relief escaped my lips. I looked at Alex who looked like she was bored. 

"Let me summarize this", she said monotonously. 

I nodded with a gulp. 

"This Dabi person is Shoto's long lost brother. He has a thing for bringing you down because you're All Might's descendant. But he doesn't even know it. He just can't stand you. Okay... Then he decides to write that I am a doom. You pack me up like some Amazon delivery box just because a crazy guy with, most likely, serious mental condition does some graffiti. And then you spend days trying to locate him. And now you have somehow made it to get a spy to join the League just so that you can protect me", she stated. 

"Well, when you put it like that..." I chuckled awkwardly. 

"There is no putting it no way. While I was feeling like I'm on my deathbed with Katsuki you sipped coffee with the Hero Commission, trying to get them to risk another guy's life the same way they did to Hawks. Izuku. What the flying fuck?"

"Well Hawks is fine, see for yoursel..."

"He is not. You may not see it, but I do. He might smile, but that isn't how he feels. It's a mask. Working with the League scars you, Izuku."

"I just want you to be safe..."

"I know. But no villain can get me, I promise. I can use my quirk to over-heal someone and that way protect myself. Just cancel the whole thing, I'm begging you", she said and looked me with those perfect eyes of hers. 

I was in a dilemma. I loved Alex a lot, but that didn't erase my consciousness. Whoever the Commission decided to 'award' with this task was about to get hurt, even I knew it. Mentally or physically, it doesn't matter. She was sitting in front of me with that begging look in her twinkling ocean eyes. But Dabi never left my mind. He was bound to find out, we were on the news and everything. The only thing that matter was why he waited for so long. I looked down at the floor, muttering something to myself. I heard her sigh. 

"Fine. Whatever. I'll protect you", I said quickly. 

The only reason why I agreed to this was because I didn't want to her to think I was merciless or callous. She wasn't the type to be scared for her own life so I knew she didn't take it as seriously as she should. I felt my chest tighten as I grabbed the phone to call the Commission. That feeling of terror was back. The terror of losing her. Losing my everything. 

I dialed the number and asked to be connected with the Administrator directly. 

"Yes. There is no need for such a... progressive action", I told the Administrator after some explaining. 

"This Alex woman must have you wrapped around your little finger", she snickered. 

"Well now... just take extra care of the LOV. No need for spying or anything. Thanks", I replied quickly.

"As you wish. Have a good day", she said slyly. 

I hung up and discarded the phone away from me as if it's wrapped in goo. Alex smiled and hugged me. It's incredible... one little action she does can make all the fears go away. Her vanilla scent made me feel safe and comforted. I watched her brown hair shine as the rays danced over it. 

"And to make it clear - I'm not going to live under a glass globe. 'kay? I can look after myself. Other heroes have families too", she said and kissed me before I could reply. 

"You have to promise me you'll be careful", I demanded, holding her hand. 

"Yes, I promise I won't go to suspicious clubs and alleys and blah-blah-blah", she said mockingly.

"They're not the guys to politely wait for you to go into a dark alley and then ask 'May we kidnap you ma'am?' They'll kidnap you in the middle of a fucking mall", I told her.

"I promise I'll be careful. Always", she repeated. "And blah-blah-blah", she added before quickly jumping away. 

I sighed and laughed in defeat. She went off to somewhere in the kitchen and I burried my face in the pillows. Something was telling me I made the wrong choice, that I'll regret it soon enough. But I was in a state where I felt like Alex can't think of me badly. I had to be perfect in her eyes. And if that meant sitting by the door at night, making sure the League doesn't burst in, I was in for it. As long as Alex saw me as good enough for her. Now I see how incredibly selfish it was. The entire time I questioned my choice, knowing I haven't done the right thing from the very beginning. I shouldn't have started dating her in the first place. Hawks warned me right away. I had no other excuse but the fact this was something I wanted for myself. And I comforted my own soul, telling myself she wanted this as much as I did. But then again, was it? Isn't everyone meant to find their happiness? And how is it that heroes do good for people, but have to live without love? Makes no sense.  

Alex's cheerful smile and friendly personality, those enchanting eyes and hair, her kindness... it was too much for me to resist. It was like I've been magnetized towards her. Her words about Hawks crossed my thoughts. And an even more terrible thought appeared. I realized I was ready to do anything to save her. To make a pact with Dabi and Shigaraki. To help them. As long as she was safe. This realization was terrifying. As she chirped around me, talking about something insignificant, I kept asking myself if this is something that is only going to happen in this frenzy of the moment. Will I feel this way, ready to become corrupted, always or only while this crazy moment of adoring is lasting? 

"I'll go make some cookies then. I'm bored. Wish me luck", she stuck her tongue out playfully and went back into the kitchen. 

How is she so easy-going about this? Who is she?

Did I really know her? What if just now I was about to really meet her? All of her dreadful sides she hid until now, before she made it to drag me into her trap... her shadows and dark corners? How does she take it all so easily? We, Hawks and I, practically told her someone wants her dead. And she says she doesn't want to live under a glass globe...? Either she is really selfless or she's been through worse stuff which make this seem like nothing. Either she really is as perfect as I see her or she hides a black hole inside her beauty.