XXVI.

Izuku's POV

"Hold on, my phone is ringing", Hatsume said.

"So what, you want me to stop the car just because someone is callin' you?!" I snapped nervously.

I saw her look at me and then smile with a certain defeated grace. 

"For your information, it may just as well be Alex. Try not to crash into that tree, please. I want to live to see my best friend", she said before answering the phone, not giving me enough time to reply. 

I turned on a corner and drove off into the main street. It was crowded with people and cars. I sighed in frustration and tapped my fingers on the steering wheel. Just a few minutes ago, I remembered where Alex might me. Her old apartment! I saw her keyring and it just popped up in my head. It was likely, since she knew where the spare key was. Some things still weren't clear to me. I understood very well, trust me, that I've said some awful things. To say you don't know if you love someone in a relationship built on love and trust, it is a terrible thing. If there was a Relationship Hell, you'd go there for it. That's why I was so nervous to get there as soon as possible. My foot shook next to the breaks and the gas and my eyes scrolled over the shop windows and random people pointing at me while passing by. I didn't even bother to try and smile. Some weird emotion I could not identify floated through my veins with each pump my heart made. And my heartbeat was literally running. The best way to describe it is a fear of the unknown mixed with disappointment in yourself.

"Oi, Midoriya! Move!" Mei shook my hand. 

I looked in front of me where I saw the car-line moving and quickly sped up. I was in my own world at the moment and Hatsume sure made a bold decision to go for a ride with me. 

"It was Moji. She is worried why Alex isn't showing up at work", she said quietly. 

"About time! What did you tell her?" I quickly replied. 

"That she has some business to take care of. I mean... I'm not gonna tell her what it really is, right?" Hatsume said after a break. 

"Why wouldn't you? She is Alex's best friend. After you, of course..." I added.

"Dunno. You're a hero. Maybe you don't want those things to be found out. How the hell should I know?"

I stopped again at another traffic light. As I looked at the faces of people, I tried to imagine what it was like to live their lives. Normal lives. 

"It's nothing not to be found out. People quarrel on a daily basis. It's normal. Heroes aren't perfect and therefore I don't see a reason to present us that way. Right?" I asked her, more to myself. 

"I guess."

"You yell at your staff every single moment. Even when you're not at work."

"That's different."

"Didn't Moji and Gakko notice something before?"

"Moji is the kind who doesn't meddle into other people's business. And Gakko...well, it's Gakko."

"'kay. Two more blocks. Tch, the truck had to be passing now!" I shouted angrily. 

A giant truck blocked the street as people unloaded it. I shook my head in disbelief and let it fall down onto the stirring wheel. Mei chuckled nervously and I heard her mutter something about her equipment which would most definitely speed up the entire process. She was just an evidence of how we all live separate lives - separate world. The thing is, those worlds collide time to time. It's what happened to me and Alex. And damn, it caused an earthquake alright. Most likely even chaos.