XXIV.

Izuku's POV

"Ow!" I yelped as Hatsume hit me on the head with a very heavy notebook.

"What did you tell her?!" she shouted angrily. 

"...That I don't...know if I love h-her...?" I repeated quietly.

"That's a straight-up lie! What the fuck made you say that? What was wrong with you anyway?! She was so worried. What. Were. You. Thinking?!" she continued shouting, slamming the notebook on her desk with every syllable. 

"I don't know myself! Alright?"

"Bakugou is dead. Dead, I tell you. This is all his doing! His repulsive ass couldn't get a girlfriend and now he goes around and..."

"The fault is mine, too. If I weren't so pliable it wouldn't have come to this", I sighed and sat down in a chair a bit further away from the notebook. 

Ever since last night, my soul and conscience have been properly eating me alive. I felt so bad when Alex left, I just wanted to burry myself in a mousehole  and never come out again. With every hour she didn't come back it got a billion times worse. Around six this morning, I called Hatsume to see if Alex went to her place. Before she knew what actually happened, I sounded so bad, Hatsume thought someone had died. A part of me did, the moment Alex walked out in such a mess. The mess I made. 

When I heard she wasn't there, I freaked out with a reason. She went out with no phone, no money, no nothing. Just a pajama and shoes. Now we were in Hatsume's office, deciding what do to next. She suggests we murder Katsuki first and then move on to tracking where Alex is. I'd still like to avoid the first part, though. 

"And you just let her walk away?" she asked me, crossing her arms as she put down the notebook.

"There was nothing I could do! She just... disappeared", I defended myself quickly. 

"You can defeat villains but you can't notice a girl in a crowd of 4 people", Hatsume stated calmly.

"Just find a way to track her. I want this nightmare over", I snapped at her. 

"Fine", she sad and raised her hands, "but keep in mind that this nightmare started with your incapability to have a normal conversation."

I cursed under my breath and looked outside the window. It was still early in the morning but the sun has already heated up the city. Waves of heat dancing around metal roofs of Tokyo made it seem as if the world outside of the room I was in was all curvy. Somewhere in that world was Alex... alone. 

"I need to get this done quickly. What if Dabi happens to find her? Imagine it... right now she is just walking around, trying to recompose herself from what I have done. In a few hours, she may accidentally stumble into Dabi and..." I didn't dare to finish the sentence I started. 

Hatsume looked up at me from her computer and gave me a weak smile.

"Ma'am, there are meeting scheduled at..." an assistant peaked in. 

"Get the hell out and reschedule them and yourself", she replied calmly, not raising her look from the computer screen.

The guilt was eating me up. It may sound stupid, but in that moment I felt that if something were to happen to Alex, I'd end my life too. 

Alex's POV 

I opened my eyes. Sun tingled my eyes and I tried to turn my head, but my neck hurt badly. I whined like a hurt puppy and tried to move my hands. Last night's events flashed in front of my eyes in an instant. I opened my eyes and through the bright sunshine I saw silhouettes of Dabi and Twice, sleeping in the filthy beanbags. I was hot. I wasn't sure if it's the fever from my wound or just the summer temperatures attacking the room. I felt my hair was sticky from all the sweat and (mostly) blood but I didn't give a shit.