XLII.

As we dealt with those two, huffing and panting, already exhausted both physically and mentally, we ran into a weakly lit up hall with just a few doors, each one more silent than the other. 

"You have to be strong now, Alex. When we get out of this hall, we'll have to go through two more. No, three! Sorry; anyway, two, and in one of those is Shigaraki's room", Twice said quietly. 

"What?!" I screeched. "But... isn't his room on the other side?"

"No..."

"Well fuck. I can't do this, Twice. Let's just get rid of clones, you'll be safe and relieved of any suspicions, and I'll go back to my cell."

"No! You will get out!" his persistence was surprising. "You can do it. We'll be quiet. With Dabi out, we can do it. Promise me, again!"

"I... fine. I promise."

"Think about Izuku. His is out there, waiting for you. What would you do to him if you gave up now?!"

It was like a switch in my mind. Only the most genuine and kind feelings can give you the right support in situations like mine.

"I will fight tooth and nail", I muttered to myself. 

Twice just nodded silently. 

The entire LOV base was extremely complicated. It was in one of those neighborhoods which require most patrolling and care, and, yet, they get none. When control comes around, I imagine it's easy for everyone to hide around and pretend it's nothing but a tramp's hideout when it's needed. I was sort of disappointed in what I have done to Izuku. I made him lose his self-will and give in to the sins of the League. 

If only we didn't fight that day, if he wasn't stubborn and in a wave of an unexpected pride, and if I wasn't a drama queen - none would have happened. 

We tiptoed to the end of the hall, Twice looking around at all the doors. My ears were trying to spot any sounds and my eyes looked for any movement in the shadows of the darkened place. We turned again safely, entering a hall better lightened up than the previous one. It was empty. I only saw a big door at the end of it. They were metal and I guessed that was where they kept weapons. I even thought of memorizing all these things if it could help Izuku get back the trust of the hero society. 

"Phew... one more. The last one isn't worth mentioning; it's basically a few steps to the doors", Twice whispered. 

I nodded. The pain on my side stopped and I felt a tiny flame of hope tingling in my chest. 

Twice peaked first and then waved his hand as a sign for me to follow him. My heartbeats seemed so loud, as if they were able to break through the dirty walls surrounding me. I knew it wasn't real, but it still planted seeds of fear in me. I bumped into Twice accidently when he suddenly stopped before we should enter the hall leading to Tomura's room and the exit. 

It was the afternoon, calm and normal people would rest. Some villains had those habits too, so it felt as if the building has shut down and died as soon as we left the hall in which the fight broke out. I tapped the microphone lightly. It gave me some strength and made a smile float on my lips. 

"He usually isn't very aware of what's going on, honestly", Twice whispered, thinking of Tomura, almost so quietly I couldn't hear him. 

I gulped. I needed not only strength, but courage. I was afraid I wasted it on surviving the entire time. It wasn't just the change of my lifestyle, it was the fear of unknown and the future which took over me so often. 

"Shall we?" Twice added and turned around a few times in an attempt to calm his nerves. 

I balled my fists, my nails leaving marks in my palms. I tried to look at the situation I was in like those marks; it was a problem now but it would disappear sooner or later. With a trembling breath I nodded once again and stepped into the uncanny hall.