XXII.

Alex's POV

"I don't know, it's like he's scared of me or something. Just so... distant", I told Mei as we started watching a film but passed on to chatting. 

I had problems with Izuku some time after the last talk with Hawks. He seemed to be holding back at everything that involved me. It hurt me a bit but I had no idea what to do or how to act so I pretended I didn't notice it. 

"Well, what did you do?" Mei asked me.

"Nothing!" I screeched quickly. "What made you think I did?"

"Dunno. Midoriya isn't the type to just... cool off suddenly. He's crazy about you, girl."

"Was. Was, Mei", I sighed. 

"Do ya think he'll propose to you?"

"What... no. Why the hell would you think he'd to that? I am literally telling you he's drifting away from our relationship!"

"Ya know, like... he puts up an act and then boom! Although I think that I'd make a better ring than he can buy anywhere. It'd be the most twinkling baby I ever made!"

"Just... no. I need to fix it. Quickly. It's sort of driving me mad", I got up to look for a cigarette. 

"Perhaps it's the smoking he's sick of", Mei winked. 

"Mhm..."

I was scared. By then, I have admitted to myself I was way too much in love. Madly in love. I adored every single thing Izuku did and I was enchanted with every little word he told me. I cherished every moment we spent together. His love was my air - I breathed it in and lived on it. Being with him was like taking small doses of poison. Poison, but the sweetest one ever. We even had the balance which was rare in relationships like ours. I didn't lose myself in him at all, he only helped me become stronger. But lately... he'd come home later than before and then just spend hours in his study. Those moments I enjoyed were getting shorter. His eyes were always looking at me in some distrust. I was replaying everything I did to see if I gave him a cause for that, but I found nothing. 

How would I tell him? I was scared of doing it. Scared that he may actually say something then and break it off. 

"This morning I even felt some sort of discomfort between us", I said after some time. 

"Talk to him", Mei simply said. 

"I can't do that!"

"Better clear the air and try to fix it before he makes a final decision."

"Oh my God! You think he's actually thinking of breaking up with me?!" I whined. 

"No... Why do you take it all so literally? Hypothetically speaking, anything could be the reason for his behavior. Maybe he simply has things going on at work. Being a hero is no easy job, Al", she replied calmly. 

"Right. And I'm the cause because he's been worrying so much that scar-guy might hurt me or something", I muttered. 

"It's not your fault! It's theirs! And it is Midoriya's job to take care of everyone. You're a citizen of Tokyo as well."

"Okay. I'll talk to him, I guess..." I spat out nervously. 

"That's my girl", Mei smiled and hugged me. 

We went on with watching the film. I looked at the screen just so that Mei wouldn't make a fuss (she was very serious about being attentive when it comes to film-watching). But I was actually somewhere else. My hair was a victim again as I began twisting it anxiously. I felt that if Izuku were to break up with me, I'd be lost. The Alex Davies functioned sanely as long as Izuku was with her. I hated it, but I knew it. I was brave and loved myself more when I was with him. But without... as if I am losing a part of myself. Watching it fade away...