1

It isn't quite easy to feel like someone special when you spent your whole life in an orphanage, surrounded by many other children who all tried to stand out.

The chance of getting adopted by a nice family was low but they all had hopes.
Maybe if they tried hard enough, maybe if they behave the best, maybe if they learn to do chores, maybe if they develope some talents such as playing an instrument or drawing really well, maybe then they'll find a nice, loving home.

But you didn't even care about that.

Unlike the other children you never felt the need to be the best or be diligent. You had a plan, ever since you passed the age of 14.

In four years you would get out of the orphanage and you'd have to take care about yourself, make money to be able to buy food and maybe get a place to live.
Listening to the care-takers taught you one thing: where to find money.

Now, while the other children were practicing their skills for writing or drawing, you realized that you had a special talent to take things without the owners knowledge. Stealing, as some people called it. 
You on the other hand called it borrowing and not returning.

So ever since you heard the story about the castle which was towering over the village you had a plan.
Get into that castle, find money, borrow it and leave to find a new village or even city.
Sure, the stories that the people made up about the castles inhabitants weren't new knowledge to you, but it didn't scare you away.

In fact, it made that place appear even more interesting.

The building of the orphanage wasn't exactly enormously big so you've always wondererd what's it's like to be or even live in a castle.
Maybe you'd be able to find enough money and expensive decor to sell that you could afford a large home. That was something you hoped for and you were sure you would succeed.

Once the day of your 18th year spent in the orphanage came around (nobody had a clue when your birthday was) the caretakers gave you a bag with a little amount of money, a set of clothes and a small box of food which wasn't necessary at all since you knew you'd be rich at the end of the day, but you still took it and thanked the women who had been around your whole life.
And once the last good byes were said and the door fell close behind you, the village and roads laying in front of you, you felt free for the first time.
Now you would make your own decisions.

Eyes fixed on the dark castle you pull the straps of your bag a little tighter and you make your way down the uneven road, feet slithering over dirty, hardened snow and you feel a rush of adrenaline running through your body.
Originally you thought this would be a lot harder, leaving all the well known things behind, but that was your past now and a bright, golden future was right before you.

You have heard and read enough about the castle to know where you'd have to go to enter without anyone noticing and the knowledge makes you feel confident.
'How stupid the owners will look when they notice the missing things' you think to yourself and grin. 
All the stories and tales the people told about the ones who lived up there couldn't and wouldn't be true, that's something you're sure of. It is probably just to keep the children away from that place.

What child would find interest in a castle, in which murderous, bloodlusting vampires live? Exactly.

Beside yourself, nobody. Because you know better.

The clouds lighten and the sun let the snow that wasn't dirtied from the people's steps shine and glisten, a sight that you enjoy a lot. There rarely were any days with weather like that during winter.
You make a turn left and follow a road that is less occupied and more covered in still fresh snow so you have to slow down your pace a bit and you dart your eyes away from the castle to focus on your steps.
The next time you raise your head again you spot it a lot closer to you and a satisfied smile appears on your face.
You're just in time.