44.1 - Epilogue

(a/n: Hello everyone! For the epilogue I changed the perspective to first person because... I just wanted this to feel very personal and I almost like this better... Might also change the rest of the story to first person perspective, but I am not sure about that yet. Also yes, there will be two parts :) Anyways, enjoy!)

A few rays of sunshine broke through the heavy courtains that covered the windows on the east side of castle Dimitrescu and the first few birds started singing a soft tune.

The temperature was finally warm enough that the windows could be kept open at all times without putting the daughters at risk and the grass wasn't covered in frost anymore in the morning.

It was the beginning of a new morning and for the residents of the castle it even meant a new life that was right ahead of them, waiting for them to wake up and take the chance to start something new.

It took me a moment to even open my eyes and sit up, because the heavy blanket and that comfortable warmth I was in wasn't something I wanted to leave just yet, so I kept my eyelids shut for a little longer, nuzzled my face into the pillows beneath me and took a deep breath. The scent was so familiar, so comforting in my nose that my mouth curled up into a small smile and I shivered just thinking about the dark cellar with the hard, cold floor and this consistent noise of the machinery that I only partially managed to ignore. I wondered if Mia still remembered that noise the way I did or if she blocked it out now that she found Ethan.

More than a week had already passed ever since I watched Mirandas head being sliced off and the nightmare of her leadership and the terror she caused the village finally ended and it still felt like a fresh wound when I thought about it. Maybe I am just too much of a sensitive person that it kept me awake and I still flinched whenever a door was opened a bit too quick for my liking.

But I was sure it would get better.

Daniela's idea, that we all should go on a vacation together was brought up a few evenings ago when we sat at dinner that Vaela and I had prepared together (I still worked here, after all) and since there were no things left to do around here, we collectively made the decision that we would go somewhere, preferably warmer and also where a group of rather odd looking people could easily hide, even though Alcina wasn't exactly fond of the idea.

Of course for me it was normal now that a 9foot6 tall woman was around me at all times, a talking doll was one of my best friends and that said tall woman had a ''brother'' who was partially a fish, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that everyone would see that as something they wanted to be around.

As if he knew what we talked about at dinner, I later ran into the duke when I wanted to return to Alcina's room and he asked me if perhaps we needed help with the preparations for our vacation, so I asked him if he knew a place where we could stay and where we all could feel comfortable, without having to be in contact with other people all the time.

He thought for a second and then told me he would be back in one, two days with an answer.

It was very early in the morning and I had a plate with a sandwich for me in one hand and a cup of bloody tea for Alcina in the other, the breakfast we had almost every morning when the duke showed up again.

I was still in my night gown because I didn't expect him to be here at this time and of course I wasn't embarrassed, but I still wished I would have worn more elegant clothes.