6

It is already late in the night with the moon shining through the curtains when a light growl sounds through the silence of your room and wakes you up.
Still half asleep you don't even bother opening your eyes.
To you it feels like the sound came from a dream you already forgot about and you snuggle back into your pillow when another growl comes to your ear, a little louder this time.

Your heart twitches and you lie still, now wide awake.
'That probably came from the outside' you think and listen carefully, waiting for the next weird noise.
That's when you notice the light but heavy breathing and you realize that that something which is causing the weird noises is in your room with you.

You freeze, unsure what to do and you're torn between lying still and waiting for what happens next, and siting up to see what that thing is. It surely cannot be from human nature, no normal person makes such noises.
But if you move, maybe it will attack you. And if you stay still there is no way you could defend yourself.

As slow as possible you slide your arms from beneath your blanket and rest your right one on the mattress, allowing you to push your upper body up and you turn to the left so you can sit up straight.

In the left corner of your room you can make out a figure, standing there in the dark with an arched back and it's arms hanging down loosely, right next to the door which was pushed open.
Your eyes linger on the figure, not sure if you should feel scared or worried and you watch it with an uneven breath while it stands there without moving.

'Is that thing sleeping while standing or…' you ask yourself and furrow your eyebrows.
The curiosity takes over your fear and you move a bit forward on your bed to get a better look on that thing.
And then you notice the axe in it's hand.

The figure raises it's head and when you meet a pair of dead looking eyes you flinch back, it growls at you and you start panicking when it stumbles toward you, swinging the axe back and forth.
You feel paralyzed, your body doesn't move like you want it to and the grip of your hands on your blanket tightens while it comes closer and closer to the left side of your bed. 
Without even thinking about it you slide of the right side of the mattress and your legs bring you to the open door, the thing lets out a haunting growl and you can hear it following you with quicker steps than before.

You slip out of your room and start running, not even knowing where you should go.
'Find a place to hide' you think 'Then go back and lock the door'.
But no matter which room you would enter, it could always follow you and the heavy, rustling breathing which didn't get quieter even a little bit causes you to start panicking.

You won't be able to run forver

Your hear it growling behind you and in the next second sharp pain runs through your calve, your leg gives in and you hiss loudly as you drop down to your knees. That things managed to hit your leg with it's axe and now bloods is running out of the fresh wound which luckily wasn't too deep but still,the pain was too much for you to get up to walk again. 
And you surely wouldn't jump around on one foot.

You start crawling along the corridor quickly, pulling your injured leg with you without using it, darkness makes it hard to make out where you are going and before you know it, you find yourself in front of a door.
In hopes to pass that door and lock it from the other side you reach up for the door handle, but you can't open it.

Turning around to see if there is any other way you could hide from that thing you spot it standing just a few feet away from you and your heart drops.
This is a dead end.
Maybe even literally.

You could scream for help but at this time everybody is asleep and the distance between you and the maids rooms is too big as if they could hear you. 
A rush of anxiety runs through your body as you back further away, your back pressed up against the hard wood of the door as if that makes anything better.