44.3

The sun was already coloring the tips of the spruces around us orange when Donna and I stepped out of the house and began to walk along the road that would bring us to the city. The duke had told us what it was called but in my excitement I honestly forgot its name, I knew it would be a longer march though.
Donna had only half of her face covered with her vail and I watched as her eye curiously roamed around, looking at our surroundings attentively.
,,It is so different here”, she said softly and the corner of her mouth curled upwards ,,I like it”.
,,Me too”, I nodded in agreement ,,And I hope we will find a supermarket quickly… I don’t think it will be that easy to ask for directions”. ,,It can’t be that hard”, Donna replied and I shrugged.
,,We will see when we get there”.

It took us about twenty minutes until we reached the first houses and we finally stepped on a market place or what I assumed it was, with a fountain in the middle of it and a few people sat around it. I spotted a cafe, another cafe, a restaurant and an ice cream shop. I turned to Donna and asked her if she wanted some ice cream and the reaction that followed made me feel like she has never had ice cream before, what might even be the case.
Ordering wasn’t exactly easy but me and the woman who served us somehow made it work with finger signs and approving nods. 
Donna and I continued our walk, a little bit slower now so we could eat in peace and she hummed happily. ,,Tastes good?”, I asked her and she nodded.
,,I like strawberry”, she mumbled and I gave her a soft smile.
,,I am glad you like it”, I said and we now approached a rather busy appearing street ,,I mean, you ordered two scoops of it”.
,,My housekeeper gave me some when I was younger. It would always be strawberry and it always felt nice to eat it”, Donna continued and inched a bit closer to me ,,It made me feel happy”.
,,Maybe you could try something different now?”, I said and it made my heart sink to hear her talk that way.
She was happy, I heard it by the tone of her voice but the fact that she sounded like a child talking about the smallest things that made her happy when she was smaller broke my heart. She used to have a family, a mother, a father. And still she grew up sadder than I did. 

,,I could. But I am used to strawberry”, she scrunched her nose ,,I don’t know if I want to try anything else. What if don’t like it. It would be a waste”.
,,Here, try mine. It is cookies and cream flavor”, I said and handed her my cone ,,Or something like that”.
Donne eyed me for a moment before she took the cone out of my hand and tasted the flavor I chose.
Her face lit up and she looked at me as if she discovered something so great that she has never even thought about it existing before.
,,This is great”, she said and handed me my ice cream again ,,Do you think we will be able to get some again? I’d like to try something different then”.

,,I am very sure we will get to do that. Perhaps you could bring Angie with you?”, I said as we passed a restaurant that played loud music and noticed on the last glance that a live band was playing in it. ,,Only if you come with me?”, Donna smiled and slightly scrunched her nose ,,I… I don’t really feel comfortable being around people but you make it better. A lot better”.
,,Of course! I love spending time with you”, I said and I meant it.
Donna was one of the sweetest human beings I have ever met, she appeared like she had been through a lot and the fact that she felt comfortable around me made me feel incredibly happy.
,,Maybe we could choose each others flavors?”.
,,I don’t know. I’m not good with talking to people”, Donna sighed.
,,Don’t even worry about that. You can whisper into my ear which ones you want for me and I will order for the both of us”.
,,Really?”.
,,Of course”.

I mean, I wasn’t the most talkative and extroverted person either but for Donna I would speak in front of a crowd of a thousand people if that meant she wouldn’t have to feel uncomfortable.
Ever since I met her for the first time I felt something for her, something that made me protect her from anything and taking in perspective how her ‘’mother’’ treated her. I never wanted her to feel like that again and even if that meant talking to strangers who didn’t even understand my language. It somehow worked, no?