44.2 Epilogue

(a/n: had to split this again, But the third and last part will be here soon)

Once the duke's letter came in, telling us he would come with a carriage in four days to pick us up, Alcina's first reaction was to massively panic and run around the entire castle, searching for bags and suitcases.

It has been some time, a couple of decades to be exact, since she had been on a vacation and of course I understood that she was nervous, but after she strolled past the library for the fifth time I told Dani I would come back in a bit and followed Alcina along the hallway.
I called for her, she stopped and turned and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows.

,,What are you doing?", I asked her and she huffed.
,,Looking for the things we will have to take with us. I am unsure what exactly we will need and I am looking for Donna to help me".
,,I could also help you?", I replied and now the stressed expression on her face faded for a moment, replaced by a soft smile but she shook her head.
,,My sweet girl. It is alright, I don't want to take your free time away from you", she said and gently stroked my hair ,,I will find Donna. She will be help enough for me".
,,Okay, but you know where I am when you need me", I spoke and she nodded. 
,,Of course, love".

So I returned to Daniela and she greeted me with an amused expression her face, her legs dangling sideways from her chair as always and she put a finger between her pages so she wouldn’t forget where she left off.
,,You could almost believe that woman has never been outside of the castle for longer than a few hours”, she said ,,She didn’t even live here before Miranda called her in”.
,,Yeah, I know”, I sat down again ,,Aren’t you nervous though?”.
She shrugged and then shook her head. ,,Not really? I mean, the duke will bring us somewhere safe and I trust him. Hell, his life would definitely be quite boring without us”.
The red haired girl let out a soft laugh and then added: ,,I mean, where would he randomly show up and scare the shit out of everyone if it wasn’t for the castle?”.
,,Good point”.

Eventually Vaela called everyone for dinner, I was mad for a moment that she didn’t ask for my help and had to do everything on her own and we sat down to eat.

Three days later everything was packed in a bunch of suitcases, clothing, books and all that at least because the duke had written in his letter that we wouldn’t have to bring towels because he would provide for those and I was sitting between Daniela and Cassandra on the stairs in the foyer while Alcina was anxiously walking up and down from the entrance back to us.
Of course she wouldn’t admit that she was anxious and she didn’t say it out loud, but the way she clenched her jaw, fixed her hat every minute and fiddled around with her fingers made it pretty clear to me that she was very nervous. I wondered if her nervousness caused her to forget putting on her usual gloves but I wouldn’t dare ask her that.
I loved that woman dearly but the way she always denied it when she obviously wasn’t doing all too well was somewhat stressful sometimes.
Cassandra started to braid her hair out of boredom and I handed her the hair tie I still wore on my wrist everyday, which was a habit that I picked up back when I worked with Mikaela because she would always forget to bring one and then complained about her hair getting in her face all the time.

,,That looks really nice”, I said when Cassandra finally flipped the braid over her shoulder and she arched one eyebrow ,,You should wear it like that more often”.
,,You think so? I don’t know”, her fingers ran over her scalp for a moment as she smoothed her hair out ,,Maybe”.
,,I agree. You don’t look as messy as usual now”, Angie joined into the conversation as she came running out of literally nowhere and jumped straight onto my lap. 
,,Thanks Angie, I really needed to hear that”, Cassandra scoffed in a sarcastic tone and I gave Angie a scolding look while Alcina came back marching toward us and fixing her hat yet again.
,,Don’t listen, Cassie. You are always looking gorgeous”, Daniela said and reached behind my back to pat her sisters shoulder ,,Flawless even. We all are just… Perfect”.