27

Some hours pass by and the day slowly turns to night, Alcina and you picked your books up again but you remain sitting on her lap while she gently runs her fingers through your hair, a habit of hers that you've grown to like a lot.
There is just something so comforting about it and the tenderness of her touch makes you feel warm inside.
It is almost just too odd to you that she is the same woman who has no problems with murdering her maidens to make literal wine out of them.
And just as the thought passes your mind, Alcina puts her book down and catches your attention, causing you to look up to her.

,,Would you mind pouring me another glass?", she asks and you place your book aside as well.
,,Of course not", you say as you climb from her lap and grab the bottle.

,,Mother?".
Cassandra's voice comes from the other side of the door, just after you filled the rest of the wine into the glass and you place the empty bottle back on the nightstand while Alcina calls her daughter in.
,,I was in the basement with Daniela earlier", the dark haired girls starts and clears her throat ,,One of the maidens didn't make it through the night and the other two are growing weaker by the day".
,,Are you sure?", Alcina raises her eyebrows and Cassandra nods.

,,Bela is currently in the kitchen to… Drain the last of her, yes", she says ,,She suggested to give the other two some rest for a few days, but I wanted to talk to you about it first".
,,I don't think that that is possible", Alcina mumbles and you sit in silence, watching their conversation in worry.
You don't even know what she needs the blood for, you are just aware that something might happen to her when she doesn't receive any.
,,We'll just have to hope for the best and continue draining them", Alcina sighs ,,If they die then we'll have to see what to do".

,,Of course, mother", Cassandra nods ,,I'll tell Bela that".
,,Good",Alcina lets out another deep breath and you look at her while the dark haired girl leaves the room again.
Then you reach over to hand her the glass, a thought crosses your mind and you bite your tongue.

,,You know, if things happen to get really bad… You can take some of my blood", you say quietly and she turns to you, a suprised expression in her eyes.
,,Are you sure?", she asks and places a hand on your cheek ,,You don't have to-".
,,But I want to", you interrupt her and Alcina stares at you a moment, her gaze suddenly turning soft and she shakes her head slowly.

,,I don't think you know how much that means to me", she whispers, resting her forehead on top of yours and you feel a wide smile growing on your lips ,,How much you mean to me".
,,I mean, I owe my life to you, in a way", you reply softly. And you're right, who knows who you would be without her?
She took you in, gave you a home and comfort, and now you fall asleep every night, lying in her arms and listening to her heartbeat.

,,Seems like we complete each other, hm?", a smile sounds in Alcinas voice and you lie your arms around her neck, giving her a small nod.
'You truly complete me', you think as she captures your lips with hers and she stops you from voicing your thoughts, yet you definitely won't complain about that.

Two days later the ringing of the telephone interrupts you just as you leave Alcinas bathroom where you exchanged the woman's towels and since the woman is currently not available, she is in the cellar with Cassandra, you pick up the call.

Alcinas wounds had been healing perfectly fine and she is in a good condition again, much to your relief.
Bringing the phone up to your ear surely is a bit nerve-wracking at first, taking in perspective that it could be Miranda, but the second you hear Donna's soft voice your lip curls into a smile and you lean back against the dresser, feeling relaxed again.