29. Where All Your Dreams Are Good

At Plucky's you watched from across the room as Sam put on his tough face and asked to interrogate each of the employees individually. Dean stood behind him with his arms crossed, looking like a high-class bouncer in his suit. So far no one had recognized you but you had kept your hair down and put on a hat just in case.

You messed around with an old pinball machine until you saw the manager leave the private room. You followed her out the back and watched her pull a joint out of her pocket, shaking slightly as she lit it. You turned back inside before texting Sam. "Manager got spooked but she didn't do anything." You went back to the pinball machine and lost a couple of games.

"Hey, stop cheating!"

A voice drew your eyes to the skee ball machines. A little boy was shouting at another boy, bigger than the other, who sat on the skee ball machine and was putting the skee balls directly into the holes. He turned to the little boy and glared before going back to what he was doing.

"Hey!" you walked over. "Knock it off! You want me to tell the FBI?" You thumbed behind you where Dean stood in front of a door with his arms crossed.

The boy on the machine looked up before turning and running away. Apparently your threat had done its job plenty well.

"Jackass," you heard the little boy standing next to you say.

You looked down with raised brows. The boy looked up at you.

"That's true, but probably not appropriate for you to say, bud." You grinned down at him and he smiled shyly at you.

"Tyler, soup's on," a women in the Plucky worker uniform hurried by and set down a plate of pizza on a nearby table.

Apparently the little boy you were standing next to was Tyler because he turned and walked toward the table. "But, Mom, I don't want--"

"Just eat it," she told him exasperatedly as he sat down.

"But it sucks!" Tyler frowned down at the plate.

She sighed at him before walking away.

You watched Tyler wrinkle up his nose as he moved the plate to the side and pulled the placemat underneath forward so that he could draw on it.

You smiled gently and walked over. "Hey, don't be so hard on your mom."

"Why do you care?" Tyler asked.

"Because I've been where you are. Being a single parent is hard."

"Your mom made you camp at a stupid Plucky's after school?" Tyler asked.

You smiled, holding in a laugh. "No, but I spent a good amount of time in a garage with my dad. He was a mechanic." When Tyler nodded appreciatively you continued. "Look, she's tired. She's just trying to make sure you're safe and fed."

"That stuff tastes like butt," Tyler glanced at the pizza next to him with a frown.

You laughed a little. "Come on, it can't be that bad." You reached out and grabbed a small slice. You bit a corner off and chewed a couple of times. Cardboard with marinara and plastic on top... You spit it back onto the plate. "Okay, that's pretty bad."

Tyler giggled.

You noticed his drawing on his placemat and asked, "Are you scared of robots?"

"They have laser eyes!" Tyler pointed at his own eyes.

"They sure do," you agreed.

"Howdy, friend."

You looked up to see the worker that Sam had interrogated last greeting a kid to the side of Tyler's table. You recognized him from his usual post behind the prize counter; you think his badge said Howard. "What's your name?" Howard asked happily.