33. Read or Bleed

What felt like hours passed before you heard a door open and slam shut. Two men in all black walked down the hall and stopped in front of your cell. You noted their shiny black rubber gloves. Not sure what else to do, you stood from your seat on the hard ground and faced them.

They were bigger than you. As one of them reached for you, you threw your hand into his face, effectively burning him.

"Ah, shit!" He put a hand to his face and backed up, but the other one was already on you.

Your arms were grabbed and fixed behind your back. You kicked out and struggled, but the one that was now burnt found himself free to punch you in the face. Stunned, you let them have the upper hand. Stars crossed your vision as they lead you out and down the hallway. The door slammed behind you and then you were walking down a different hallway. This one had dark tiled floors and grey-painted drywall. The humidity was gone, and so was the heat. They walked you for a while, turning a couple of times here and there. You ran into few other demons on your walk. One of them opened the door to a room that held one of the worst noises you had ever heard. It was like a scream, but unlike any human or animal noise that had ever been made. You leaned away as you passed the door. The demon holding you laughed and pushed you onward.

You could already feel the side of your face swelling up. It pulsed with pain as you arrived at two larger doors. They opened inward and revealed a large room, all black, with a few areas. Most of it was open space and on the far wall was an ornate throne. To the left was what looked like a sitting area with a couple of candelabras around a couch and a chair. They sat on a large, dark rug. Behind the chairs was a long wooden table. Books and papers were laid out on it. To the right was a chair, adorned with leather straps. A high table made from brushed metal sat in front of it. An IV stand stood next to the chair, with some kind of cloudy substance in the bag that hung from it. Crowley stood at the table, sharpening some kind of instrument that looked vaguely like a knife. He wore a leather apron and black rubber gloves. He turned and smiled as the demons pushed you forward.

"There you are," he greeted. "I hope you find your accomodations... comfortable."

You spat at him. It felt good as his face twitched in annoyance and he wiped it off with his gloved hand. His smile quickly turned into a frown.

"Let's try to keep this civil," he told you. "You have a choice to make." He moved to the side and revealed the table behind him.

All kinds of surgical tools mixed with rough looking knives and miscellaneous sharp objects were neatly laid out on the table, but next to them sat a black book that you recognized. Your blood froze when you saw it. The odd knot enclosed in a clean circle jumped up from its cover.

"I need you to read this book," he told you, looking at it.

You broke your stare at the table, sure that he'd be able to read something from it, and looked back at him.

"You can do that right now, easy as that... or you can make it difficult. Either way I'll get what I want. Just more fun if you drag it out." He gestured with the knife in his hand and his smile returned.

You stared at him.

Crowley frowned in disapproval. "You'll have to give an answer. I can't read your mind."

You swallowed. Your dry throat wanted to close up. Shakily, you said, "No."

Crowley narrowed his eyes. "What was that?" He leaned forward as if trying to hear you better.

"No," you said more confidently and picked up your bruised face. "Fuck you."

"Indeed." Crowley sighed and motioned to the chair. "Looks like I'll be prodding the prophet."