41. The Old Ball and Chain

The next day you waited outside of the new CEO's office with Dean and Garth as the CEO's wife scolded the secretary for spelling her name wrong. The wife wore a fashionable all-white suit that told you she felt self-important enough to not worry about stains. Apparently she was enjoying her husband's new position. She left, and to your surprise Sam and Becky walked out of the private office. Sam thanked the secretary before coming over to your group.

"Hey, is that your--" Garth leaned in to whisper to Dean.

"Yes," he answered quickly.

"Awkward," Garth mumbled and leaned away.

You and Dean stood up to meet them as they noticed you.

"Hi," Dean smiled politely.

Becky glared at Dean skeptically.

Dean laughed awkwardly and said, "Okay..."

Becky glanced at you and raised her eyebrow before walking away. Apparently she wanted nothing to do with Dean and she was upset at you for not doing what she had told you to.

"So..." Dean turned to his brother as you watched Becky walk away in her pink tweed suit.

"So," Sam said, "No point going in. The guy's clean."

"You sure?" Dean asked as you looked back at Sam.

"Yeah, positive," Sam nodded. "Becky grilled him like a pro. She's a real natural." His grin told you he was proud.

You smirked.

"What's with the scrawny guy?" Sam nodded at Garth, still sitting on the couch.

"Temp," Dean told him.

Sam nodded, sent you a smile, and then followed after Becky. Garth waved to him as he passed.

The secretary ushered the three of you into the CEO's office. The man behind the desk wore a navy suit with a shiny gold tie. He raised his eyebrows as the three of you entered. Garth pulled back a chair for you to sit and you smiled gratefully as you sat. There were only two chairs. Garth and Dean glanced at each other before Dean took a seat. Garth stood between the chairs.

"Throw a rock and hit a reporter these days, eh?" the CEO joked and laughed lightly.

Dean took out a small notebook and chuckled. "Well, your story's a big deal over at the, uh, Actuarial Insider."

"Go ahead, shoot," the man nodded.

"Alright," Dean nodded. "How'd you get the gig?"

"Board came to me, asked, I said yes," he answered simply.

"Just out of the blue?" you asked.

"Pretty much," he nodded.

"Any idea how the board landed on you over your, uh, supervisors?" Dean asked.

He shook his head. "They didn't say."

"Could you tell us what specifically excited the board about your actual qualifications?" Dean asked.

"Say, fellas, what's with the third degree?" he glanced at you, looking for a little relief.

"Oh, no offense," Garth cut in. "We were just wondering if you got here by nefarious means." He smiled.

"Whoa, Garth!" Dean laughed nervously.

"Uh, I-I didn't mean, of course, um," Garth rambled, "corporate backstabbing. I'm sorry. I meant more like, black magic, or hoodoo."

You cleared your throat nervously and shifted in your seat, all while smiling politely at the man in front of you. "He's kidding," you said lightly as Dean laughed a little. "He jokes, he's a jokester."