53. Retribution

Osiris gestured Jo forward and she looked at him. Her smile fell and she rounded the chair to take a seat.

"State your name for the court," Osiris commanded.

"Jo Harvelle," she nodded.

"And what is your relationship to Dean Winchester?" Osiris asked.

"We worked together," she answered simply, looking across the room at Dean.

You followed her eyes and you could see Dean's brain working.

"Isn't it true that you admired him?" Osiris asked, his question soft. Not the tone you or the brothers had been receiving from him.

"Well, as a hunter... yeah," Jo nodded and turned back to Osiris. "As a guy, he was kind of a jerk," the corner of her mouth lifted in a small grin as she glanced over at him.

Dean's brows furrowed and he looked away from her gaze down at the floor.

"So you saw him as a mentor of sorts?" Osiris asked his next question.

"I wouldn't put it like that," Jo frowned at Osiris.

"How would you put it?" the god pressed.

"I don't know," Jo sighed. "I trusted him... so if you're trying to say he was a bad guy or something–"

"Was it hard?" Osiris cut her off.

"What?" Jo asked, her voice hard with anger.

"Working with him... considering your feelings?" Osiris feigned concern.

"No," Jo answered immediately. "What feelings?"

"You would have done quite a bit for him, followed him into any battle," Osiris lifted a hand towards Dean.

"I know what you're getting at and it's bull," Jo told him.

"So Dean had nothing to do with your first case, the one that started it all," Osiris shook his head mockingly.

"It wasn't like that," Jo said.

"No feelings. None at all," Osiris pushed, then raised his voice. "You would have chosen the exact... same... road." His hand hit his armrest at each of the last three words for emphasis. "Ended up in that hardware store, holding the fuse."

"Oh, you're a piece of work, you know that?" Dean's arms pulled at his chains and he shifted in his seat. "Puttin' words in her mouth–" Dean was cut off with a closed hand gesture from Osiris. Dean grunted through his lips, as if they were sealed shut.

"Keep him under control, counsel," Osiris told Sam, "or I'll remove his tongue."

Dean grunted for a moment more, then Osiris opened his hand. Dean gasped in a breath.

"Your witness," the god grinned at Sam.

Eyes wide, you asked Dean quietly, "You okay?"

Dean nodded, then watched his brother approach Jo. The two nodded at each other.

"So," Sam crossed his arms and glanced nervously at the god next to him, "your dad was in the life?"

"Yes, he was," Jo agreed.

"And your relationship with him?" Sam asked.

"Good, I mean..." Jo trailed off.

"You idolized him," Sam offered.

"Basically," Jo nodded.

"So why'd you start? To impress some loudmouth ass you just met, or 'cause you wanted to be like your dad?"