22. Surprise!

The next morning you woke up and headed straight for the shower. You had ignored the blood in your hair last night, but couldn't let it go any longer. After cleaning up you walked out into the suite. Dean was sitting in front of the TV and Sam was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee.

"How did you sleep?" you asked Sam.

"Good," he grinned at you. "Better."

"Good," you nodded.

"I slept great," Dean commented from the couch. "Like a friggin' baby."

You turned to him, but he hadn't looked away from the TV. "Was that sarcastic, or enthusiastic? I couldn't tell."

Dean didn't answer so you turned to Sam, who shrugged.

"Dean," you stepped in front of the couch. "Why don't we go get some donuts before we start the long drive back to Bobby's?"

"Yeah, okay." Begrudgingly, he turned the TV off and stood up from the couch.

"Wow. What's wrong, Dean?"

"Nothing," he said, shutting the door to his shared room behind him.

Dean stopped at a donut shop before leaving town. Eating breakfast helped improve his mood slightly, but you could tell there was still something bothering him. You convinced Sam to sit in the back and let you take the passenger seat at the next rest stop. You opened the glove box and found a couple of burner cell phones, a map, and some old notes. You hadn't found what you were looking for, but you stopped and turned to Dean with one of the phones in hand. "Hey, maybe I should use one of these."

"That's not a bad idea," Dean said.

You pressed the power button and set the older phone on the seat next to you to restart while you continued looking. There wasn't anything on the floor by your feet. Last, you opened the center console.

"Aha!" you announced. You dug through some of the cassettes in the little cardboard box and looked for a good one. You grabbed Lynnyrd Skynnyrd and pulled it out. You popped out the cassette he had in the player, with a shout of protest from Dean, and then popped that one in. You counted with the countdown that played through the speakers and then bobbed to the guitar.

"Well I'll tell you plainly baby, what I plan to do," you sang along with Ronnie Van Zant, trying to make Dean smile. "Say I may be crazy, woman, but I ain't no fool."

You could see Dean fighting to keep a straight face as you poked him in the chest. Sam laughed from the back seat. When you hit the chorus you went all out, attempting to hit the same notes as Ronnie at the end. When it didn't go as well as you had hoped you laughed and a smile broke through on Dean's face. He sang the rest of the song with you, letting you try the high notes without him. You managed to hit a couple. By the end he seemed back to himself.

You sighed as the cassette moved onto the next song. "Much better," you told Dean. "You're no fun when you're grumpy."

Dean shook his head, but smiled.

The three of you stopped for lunch at a small diner off of an exit in Georgia. Dean was excited about their peach cobbler and all was right with the world. You sat at a booth somewhere near the middle of the restaurant. After giving the waitress your orders you stood up.

"Where are you going?" Dean asked.

"The bathroom."

"I'll walk with you."

"Dean-" you started to protest, but he was already standing up. "Fine." You sighed, figuring the least you could do is let him walk you to the bathroom if it made him feel better.