Chapter 74 - Home

Hannah was slumped over a chair, asleep, when she suddenly became aware of shuffling and groaning coming from the space next to her. Slowly opening her eyes, through fear of being blinded by the light flooding into the room, her eyes instantly shot to the person next to her. Steve.
"Hey, sleepy head, glad to see youre finally awake," she said as a grin formed across her face.
Steve chuckled and moved his head slightly to look in Hannah's direction, "By the looks of things, the same could be said about you. How long was I out?"
"A week, but don't worry, nothing exciting happened in that time."
"Well, thank goodness for that," Steve said with a smile. "Mind filling me in on what happened at the warehouse?"
"Of course. Jason was going to inject you with the same thing that made me lose my powers, but we stopped him before he could. He's now looking a little, um, frosty, in a CIA cell, so he shouldn't be bothering anyone anytime soon," Hannah explained, making her way over to the bed to sit down.
"Your powers came back!" Steve exclaimed with shock in his voice.
"Yep! Tony said it was something to do with a protection instinct, or something along those lines. Any ideas why that might have been?"
"Nope, none at all. Nothing to do with me being in danger," Steve said with a smirk.
"Not at all," Hannah replied with a smile. "How are you feeling anyway?"
"A little sore, but nothing too bad. From the monumental headache I have, I'm guessing I hit my head?"
"Yeah, no one was quite quick enough to catch you after Jason's men shattered into shards of ice. Sorry about that," Hannah explained with a timid grin.
"Don't worry about it. I gotta ask though, if you killed all of Jason's men, why is Jason in a CIA cell?" Steve questioned, moving his head to meet Hannah's eyes, which were now looking at her hands, fiddling.
"Um, I don't know. I guess I wanted him to suffer like he made me suffer all those years, which makes me sound like a terrible person, but I guess it takes one to know one, right?"
"You are anything but a terrible person, Han. You saved all of us, you saved me. If you hadn't got your powers back when you did, who knows what would have happened. The world wouldn't have had anyone to protect it anymore, and that's not a world I'd wanna live in. You're too hard on yourself Han, you need to give yourself more credit for what you're capable of. You're not the person you think you are. You're a hero. You're an Avenger."
Hannah's eyes finally met Steve's, and she smiled. He was right, she'd finally found somewhere she belonged, with people who accepted her, and that was what mattered. In a split second, Hannah leant over and crashed her lips into Steve's. There was no shock from either of them as Steve's hand moved to cup the back of her head.
As the two of them pulled apart, Steve spoke, "well, that was unexpected, but we've made good on our promise from the other day now."
"Definitely picked up where we left off at the tower," Hannah chuckled.
"Definitely," Steve said with a smile as he leant forward to meet Hannah's lips.

Suddenly, there was a series of loud coughs coming from the door to Steve's hospital room.
"When you two have quite finished, Steve's allowed to come home," Tony explained from his position in the doorway, Sam, Bucky, and Natasha standing behind him, all smirking.
"Right, sounds good to me," Steve replied, smiling widely at Hannah.
"Me too."

...

Back at the tower, there was no evidence that the team had been fighting anyone over the last few weeks. Everything was exactly where it had been left, floors had been fixed and replaced, and any debris from the explosion had been swept away. All was well, and everything was quiet. Until, that is, the elevator made it to the main floor, and out poured the group of Avengers, all safe, and all healed. Powers, thankfully, still in-tact.
"Alright, who needs food? Sam and I will cook!" Bucky yelled as he made his way over the kitchen.
A chorus of grunts and yes' rang out from the group, and the pair got to work on dinner. During most missions the team neglected to eat, at least in part, due to how busy they were, so feasts were normally called for at the end of them.
"You boys alright if I help?" Hannah questioned from her position next to Tony.
"Of course, Han. Always need help with the veggies," Sam replied with a smile, never really looking up from what he was doing.
"Um, I was actually hoping I could borrow you for a minute, Han. If that's okay?" Steve questioned, slowly standing up from his position on the couch, and making his way over to Hannah.
"Yeah, of course. I'll be back to help in a bit guys!"
"No rush, Han, I'm sure we'll all end up chipping in!" Clint explained.

After making their way up to the roof in the elevator, Hannah and Steve made their way over to lean on the balcony, overlooking the city.
"Y'know, the last time I was up here, I was waiting to hear if you were okay. It was just after you got me out of the Hydra base. I felt so out of place, no home, no family, no security. It's funny how much can change in a few weeks," Hannah explained, looking over at Steve who was leant next to her.
"I hope you've found all of that here, Han."
"All that and more, I think. I guess I'm mostly glad I know you're okay while I'm up here this time."
Steve turned his body to face Hannah, taking her hands in his, and pressing a kiss to her lips. It wasn't really warm enough to be on the roof that late at night, but Steve didn't care, he was happy right where he was, and so was Hannah.
"Does this mean I don't need to persuade you to stay?" Steve asked tentatively.
It was something he'd been concerned about since their first kiss. He didn't want to say anything initially, in case Hannah didnt want to live in the tower with them, but he'd hoped a family was a good enough reason to stick around.
"Of course you don't, you big dummy. This is my home now, and the Avengers are my family, I see that now. Besides, I think you've given me a pretty compelling reason to stay."
Steves smile widened, and he pulled Hannah into a tight hug.
"You're safe here, Han. You're home."
"At last."

After spending about half an hour on the roof, relaxed on one of the bean bags, and content in each others arms, Jarvis came over the intercom to let the pair know that dinner was ready.
"Thank God! I'm starving!" Hannah proclaimed, making Steve chuckle.
The pair walked hand in hand over to the elevator, planting another kiss on each other's lips just as the doors closed.

To say dinner was a feast would have been a monumental understatement. It looked like a banquet fit for an army, which wasn't exactly an incorrect description of the group gathered around the table. As Hannah looked around, she wondered how she'd got there, but never once doubted that she deserved this. This home, this family, these relationships. For the first time in her life, she'd found somewhere she could be herself, and feel accepted in doing so. All her fears and worries melted away as she looked at her friends around her.

Never again could there be any doubt in her mind as to who she was. She was Hannah Laufeyson. And she was, and always would be, an Avenger.

Hey guys! Sorry it took so long to update, but I've been absolutely slammed with uni work! While it sounds like this chapter is a pretty definite ending, there's just one more that I want to add, so keep an eye out for that. After the next chapter though, 'Different Worlds' will be finished! I'm pretty emotional about that, to be honest. This book has been a part of my life for about 6 years now, and it's kind of like my baby. It's a little escape when I need it, and it's helped me so much.

That being said, I don't wanna end there. I can confirm, there will be a sequel! I have no idea what it's going to be called yet, or what year it will take place in, but it will happen! I guess I'm just not ready to let go of Hannah and Steve just yet.

I hope everyone is okay, and enjoys the next chapter, and has enjoyed the book overall. Right, I best get writing then! Thanks everyone! xx