Chapter 35 - Trusted Origins

The tower was silent for most of the next day. Natasha was the only one who had bothered to change out of her formal attire from the night before.

Every single Avenger was handling the news in different ways. The only thing they all had in common was that none of them had slept.

It seemed the only one who wasn't trying to get his head around the news of Hannah's parentage was Thor, who was sat in the kitchen of the tower, cooking g a box of pop tarts.  Thor knew this 'Meyers guy' was telling the truth. Loki has a daughter, and Thor knew it. He knew why she hadn't grown up on Asgard, and before Loki started killing, Thor had always regretted letting her be taken away.
"Jarvis!" Thor boomed through a mouthful of pop tart.
"Yes Thor?"
"Can you call all of the others to the conference room please? I need to speak with them urgently." Thor said, swallowing his pop tarts.
"Right away." Jarvis responded.
Thor needed to explain everything about Hannah's past. And if they weren't going to let her explain, then he was going to have to.

It took them a while, but soon all of the Avengers had congregated in the conference room, even Steve, whose hand had mostly healed and was now out of its bandage.
"What is it Thor? Some of us have some important moping around to do." Tony jokes, although no one laughed.
"Well, since you all seem set on ignoring what Hannah has to say for herself, I'm taking it upon myself to explain to you. So sit down and listen! Please."
"Thor-" Steve started but was soon cut off.
"Steve, let's hear him out." Sam said, indicating for Steve to sit back down, which he did, with a rather defeated and slightly annoyed look on his face.

Thor then proceeded to explain to the Avengers exactly what Hannah's life had been like up until she joined SHIELD.

"Loki became betrothed to Hannah's mother, Sigyn, very soon after they met. They were extremely in love and wanted to be together. My father was against the relationship from the start, after all, Sigyn wasn't of royal blood, and father wanted Loki and I's marriages to have a use for the kingdom.  Shortly after they wed, Sigyn fell pregnant with Hannah, but a battle between the Asgardians and a race of monsters from another realm was brewing. This battle came to fruition shortly before Hannah was born.  Loki and I were both enlisted into the war, but not before Loki assured his wife and daughter would be safe."
The Avengers sat, now more curious than ever as to what Thor was saying. Steve was also curious, although the look on his face was still one of betrayal.
"Unfortunately, on what turned out to be the last day of the battle, the palace was attacked. The palace where Sigyn and Hannah were hiding. One of the monsters entered their quarters, and slayed Sigyn where she stood.  When Loki received word of the attack on the palace, he returned and entered their quarters. He found Sigyn, dead on the floor. It wasn't until he heard crying from the wardrobe that he realised she'd saved their daughter's life by giving her own.  Unfortunately, on Asgard, and in my father's eyes, it is seen as the woman's job to raise the child, and so Odin saw it fit to remove Hannah from Loki's care.  Odin sent Hannah to Midgard, to live in an orphanage until she was fostered, anything to remove any distractions from the would be King. Odin ordered my mother, Frigga, to use her magic to remove Loki's memories of Hannah, removing any temptation for him to follow her to Midgard. I chose to keep an eye on her through Heimdall until she was taken in by SHIELD. Fury was the only person that I knew of that knew Hannah's true identity. I didn't recognise her when she came here because I haven't seen her since she was 7 years old." Thor finished his story and sat down.

"So Loki never raised Hannah? She doesn't remember him, so all she knows about him is what she's heard? They haven't met since she was 4 days old?" Clint questioned, looking slightly confused.
"No. As far as I know they haven't met since. It destroyed Loki when they took her from him. But with our mother using her magic to remove any memory of her, he doesn't remember ever having her. Although..." Thor hesitated.
"Although what?" Steve said, lifting his head to look at Thor.
"He said something recently, when he was in the prison cell, that made me believe that whatever happened to him to lead him to attack New York may have released those memories of Hannah."
"But he's locked up? So he can't get in contact with her?" Sam asked.
"Yes. He can have no contact with her. She is safe from any corruption at his hand, I assure you of that." Thor coo-berated.
"Good. God, we should have listened to her. I mean, I'm not saying I trust her again yet, but she's not like him if she wasn't raised by him, right?" Tony said, looking around at the group.
"Seriously?! She still lied to us! She withheld information! Important information!" Steve yelled. "D'ya know what? If you all want to jump back to being friends with her again, be my guest, just don't hold your breath thinking I will. She needs to earn this trust back, and she's got a long way to go yet."
"Steven-" Thor started, but Steve was almost out the door.
Steve slammed the door behind him as he left.
Bucky stood up to follow him, but Natasha quickly gestured for him to sit down, "I've got this Bucky."
Natasha kissed Bucky on the lips before walking out of the room to find Steve.
"Well, that was eventful," Tony joked to the silent room.