Chapter 34 - The Worst Betrayal

Hannah had been sat in the interrogation room for around 30 minutes. That was 30 minutes of non stop crying and regret. Regret for not telling the team the truth, and crying for the pain she'd caused Steve. She didn't know how much longer she'd be sat in there before Steve came in to interrogate her, but she didn't care. She felt guilty enough as it was, and she didn't want to know how much more she would cry if she saw him again.

...

It wasn't long after the team had made it back to the tower that Bucky went upstairs to check on Steve.

Bucky knocked on Steve's door cautiously, goodness knows what state he was going to find his friend in.
A feeble "come in" could be heard from the other side of the office door.
Bucky opened the door to find Steve curled up by the TV wall, clutching a bleeding hand to his chest.

"Christ pal, I don't think I've seen you this bad before." Bucky said as he went over to the drawer to grab a bandage and antiseptic wipe.
"Yeah, well, I don't think this has ever happened before Buck. And before you start, I don't need the whole 'I told you so' speech, because trust me, I know I should have listened."
Bucky knelt down in front of Steve, bandaging his injured hand. "I wasn't going to pal. I really am sorry Steve. I know you probably won't want to talk to her right now, but she's down in the interrogation room."
"Thanks Buck. I'll head down now. I can't sit here crying forever after all." Steve said as he began to stand up.
"You sure pal?"
Steve nodded in reply. "Yeah, I need to do this Buck."
"Okay Steve. I'll clean up here then. Go on. Just, Steve," Bucky called out as Steve walked out the door, "listen to her."
Steve nodded in reply before going down to interrogation.

He couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be yelling, but he was hurt after all.

...

Steve walked into the interrogation room, causing Hannah to look up and wipe the tears away from her eyes. Steve sat down in front of her and looked her dead in the eyes.
"Steve I-"
"I don't wanna hear it. Do you know the lengths I went to with Bucky? Trying to make him trust you? Because I did! I thought I could trust you! Do you have any idea how hard that was for me?! I poured my feelings out about you to Sam! I was sure of myself for the first time in years! And then you go and do this?!"
"Steve, please-"
"NO! I'm done Hannah! YOU LIED TO ME! I TRUSTED YOU AND YOU LIED! His daughter?! What did you think I'd say Hannah?! Huh?!" Steve screamed.
"I knew what you'd say, no one ever sees me, they only ever see him. I'm not my Dad, Steve." Hannah said, still looking at the floor.
"And yet you lied, just like him?! How did you think this would go? Did you think we'd never find out?!"
Steve leant on the window, letting out a deep breath.
"Bucky will come and take you to the holding area. I can't be around you right now."
"Steve, stop, you don't understand, I-"
"ENOUGH! Enough. I'm done with this! I'm done with you! If you thought this was going anywhere... well, not anymore, you made sure of that the second you lied to us. To me." Steve looked down at his feet before leaving the room, slamming the door behind him.

All that was left in the room was Hannah, even more upset and emotional than before, not just for Steve this time, but for any prospect of her finding something to make her truly happy, or someone. Except this time, it wasn't just because of her family name, it was because of her.