Chapter 18 - Awakenings

Steve awoke to silence. Something which was a rare occurrence in the tower, so it was usually savoured and appreciated while it lasted. Steve turned his head to look at the alarm clock on his bed side table which read 19:32. Great, he'd been out all day. Hopefully no one was too worried about his lack of consciousness.

When he went to sit up, he found the source of his unconsciousness, his abdomen, and suddenly the day's events came flooding back to him. The hydra base, the odd numbers, getting shot, Hannah...
"Hannah!" Steve said aloud as he pushed himself up in bed in an attempt to get into a sitting position, only to let out a growl of pain through gritted teeth.
"Captain Rogers, you're awake," Jarvis said in his usual polite tone. "I shall inform Mr Stark and Sergeant Barnes."
"Thank you Jarvis." Steve said as he slowly resumed moving himself to sit up in bed.

Not long after, there was a knock at the door.
"Come in."
Sure enough, Bucky's head poked round the door and a smile that was reserved for Steve spread across his face.
"Hey big guy. How ya feelin'?" Bucky asked as he entered the room.
"I've been worse. But then I've been better. What about you?"
"I'm okay, just been worrying about you that's all." Bucky said with a smile as he sat down on the edge of Steve's bed.
There was a pause before Bucky spoke again.
"So, I questioned Hannah when we got back. Just personal details, nothing too heavy."
"And?" Steve questioned with a somewhat puzzled look on his face.
"There's something not quite right there Steve. She doesn't know where she was born, heck, she doesn't even know her surname!"
"What was her reasoning?" Steve asked, remaining calm.
"That she jumped between foster homes from 2 weeks old and that's why she doesn't know. But I tell ya Steve, S.H.I.E.L.D would've told her, or at least let her find out." Bucky said, standing up from the bed.
"Maybe she didn't want to find out Buck."
"Come on Steve! I know you trust her but you've only just met her!"
"I know you're concerned Buck, but I can handle myself. I'm not some scrawny teenage anymore."
"I know that Steve. I'm just saying, tread carefully until Stark and I find out more." Bucky said moving towards the door. "I'll let her know you're free.
"Thanks Buck. I know you're only doing this 'cause you care."
"Of course I am. I'm glad you're okay pal."
And with one last smile, Bucky left, and Steve was alone with his thoughts again.

If there really was something about Hannah that didn't add up, it couldn't be that huge. Could it?