Chapter 63 - Not Needed

Bruce, Tony, Steve and Hannah were the first to arrive at the meeting on the main floor, the others had all been out on patrol so it was taking them somewhat longer to get there than usual.
"This meeting doesn't concern you Hannah, you can go about your day," Fury explained, making eye contact only briefly.
"What? No. I'm not going anywhere. I wanna know what's going on!" Hannah protested, brows furrowed at Fury's remark.
"Hannah's part of the team now, she stays," Tony explained forcefully, standing up to Fury for what wasn't the first time.
"Fine.  But you're not going on this mission Hannah, you're not needed, you're too big of a risk without your powers.  I can't have a risk out in the field."
Hurt engulfed Hannah's face, she did her best to replay Steve's words in her head, "You're still you Han," but to no avail.  She thought Fury trusted her, and she thought that meant regardless of whether or not she had her powers.  Apparently, she was wrong.  Steve's hands went straight to her shoulders, his thumbs rubbing up and down in an attempt to soothe her, though in all honesty, Steve knew nothing could fix how Fury had made Hannah feel.

Once the others had arrived, Fury opened the file on the hologram screen in the main room and set about delivering the news to the team.
"Meyer's has been located on a remote island in the Bahamas, we need you to get in there, locate him, and take him out.  SHIELD doesn't care if he's dead or alive at this point, just get him.  Captain, you'll lead the mission, tactics and plans are down to you.  SHIELD headquarters will be on comms for the entire mission, anything you need, location updates, identification, evac, anything you need, you come to us. Everything good? Get to work."
"With all due respect Fury, I wanna be on comms.  The guy in the chair of the mission if you will.  I'm not being left in the dark.  The only reason you guys even know Jason exists is because of me, I'm not sitting this one out.  If I can't physically go on the mission, then I still wanna be able to help the team." Hannah's suggestion came out of nowhere and surprised everyone, but the smirks Fury received from Sam and Tony when he looked to them confirmed that this was a fight he wasn't going to win.
"Fine, Barton, you're in charge of setting Hannah up on comms.  Best do your research Laufeyson, don't let me down."
"No sir, wouldn't dream of it," Hannah called after Fury as he walked out of the room.
"Good on you kiddo!  Couldn't have put it better myself," Tony said with a smile.
"Yeah, good job Han.  Come on, let's get you set up in the communications bay," Clint explained as he gestured for Hannah to follow him.
With one last look over her shoulder at Steve, ensuring she flashed him a reassuring smile, Hannah and Clint were gone.
"Everyone suit up, tactical briefing on the plane."
The team did as the Captain said, none of them truly knowing what to expect when they got to the island.  But hey, they were the Avengers, if anyone could do this mission, it was them.