Chapter 19 - Trust

Hannah had resorted to sitting on a beanbag on the roof, admiring the stars, which was significantly more comfortable than standing up, regardless of how beautiful New York looked at night. Clint had retreated back downstairs about an hour ago, only returning to drop off fruit and chocolate before scooting off downstairs again. Which was fine. Hannah needed the fresh air and, as ridiculous as it sounded, the quiet was nice, and almost familiar.

The silence, however, was soon interrupted by a familiar voice who had been keeping her company for the last hour.
"Miss Hannah, Sergeant Barnes wished for me to inform you that Captain Rogers is awake and you are free to see him now."
"Thank you Jarvis," Hannah said as she rolled off the beanbag.
She then collected her food wrappers and the bowl her fruit was in before making her way to the elevator.
"Steve's floor please Jarvis," Hannah said with a smile. She figured he couldn't see her but you can always hear a smile in a person's voice.
"Of course Miss Hannah."
With that, the elevator began to move up to Steve's floor.

Not long after, the elevator came to a stop. Hannah thanked Jarvis again before getting out.

Hannah turned right out of the elevator before coming to a door which was slightly ajar and had soft voice coming out of it. The TV was on. Hannah knocked on the door and waited. The sound coming out of the room then stopped and was replaced by a single, familiar voice.
"Come in."
Hannah lightly pushed the door.
"Don't supposed there's a trash can round here is there?" She said with a laugh and a smile.
Steve let out a small laugh,"yeah, just under the TV," he replied, returning the smile.
"Thanks," Hannah said as she put her wrappers in the trash and placed her bowl on the table by the TV. "So, how are you feeling?"
"Not so bad. Could've been worse. How about you? I see the others are feeding you well." He said with a smirk as he gestured for Hannah to sit on the bed next to him.
"Yeah, that was Clint. Said I looked too skinny. I've been enjoying the fresh air on the roof for the past few hours. When I wasn't with Bucky that is. Although I guess he told you about that, huh?" She asked as she looked down at her hands, worried about what Bucky might have said about her.
"He's just concerned Hannah. Everyone needs clearance and he wants it sorted as soon as possible. He wants to trust you but he doesn't have much to go on right now. That's all." Steve explained with a reassuring smile.
"So he did tell you." Hannah said as she looked down at her hands.
"He told me you don't know your surname or where you're from."
"And..." she said looking back up at him.
"And that he wants to find out more before he judges. I promise that's all Han. Hey. I trust you." He said looking into her eyes and placing his hand on hers.
Hannah smiled at him. "Thank you Steve. That means a lot."
"No problem." He said before removing his hand from hers and repositioning himself in bed. "So, I don't think I really thanked you for getting me out. Can't say it was easy. But you handled yourself."
Hannah laughed. "You're not as heavy as Sam was making out y'know." She said with a smile.
Steve returned the laugh, "well, he's not as strong as Bucky and I, but he tries."

Hannah and Steve sat talking like that, about anything and everything, until Hannah looked at Steve's alarm clock.
"Gosh, its 1:30! We've been talking for hours!" She said with a breathy laugh.
"Wow! You should probably go and get some sleep." Steve said with a small stretch. Anything bigger probably would have pulled his stitched.
"Umm, I would, but I didn't get assigned a room yet."
"Oh, Tony will still be awake. If you go down to the lab I'm sure he'll help. He doesn't get much sleep since what happened in New York."
"Okay, well I'll go see him, I'll make sure he's okay while I'm there. Thank you for this evening Steve, it's really helped." She said with a smile.
Steve returned the smile. "You're welcome Han. I'm happy to do it again if it helps you feel more comfortable. The others will come round eventually Han. I know they will."
"Thank you Steve. I might see you tomorrow then."
"Okay Han. I'd like that."
The pair exchanged one last smile and then Hannah set off to find Tony.

Hannah felt so comfortable with Steve. Hopefully he was right and the others would come round soon.