Chapter 30 - What could go wrong?

Nothing new was really discussed at the briefing, apart from who was partnered with who on the mission of course.

Steve still hadn't taken his eyes off of Hannah since the briefing, still admiring her outfit and how beautiful she looked. She had truly taken his breath away when she'd stepped out of the elevator. He had tried to convince himself that his feelings for her were premature, but since his conversation with Sam, maybe he wasn't rushing after all.

The pairs would all be taking separate cars to the ball, meaning they were less conspicuous when arriving. They'd all been given their masks by Tony before they'd left. Hannah's was incredible, a gorgeous black mask with extremely ornate gems and crystals. It wasn't what Hannah would have chosen for herself, but it went surprisingly well with her jumpsuit. Steve's mask went with his outfit too, which consisted of a blue checked 2 piece suit, and the mask was in a matching navy. Extremely understated, but still gorgeous.

After a while of driving and talking, Hannah turned to Steve.
"Would you mind helping me put my mask on? Tying things from behind me isn't my forte."
"You mean Hydra didn't train you in that? Shoddy work." Steve said with a laugh, earning the same from Hannah.
She handed him her mask and turned round. He then proceeded to place it over her eyes, being careful to leave it loose enough for Hannah to be able to adjust it herself. Once she had done this, he pulled it slightly tighter and carefully tied the bow, being sure to avoid tying any of her hair in with the ribbon.
"There we go. Perfect." Steve said as Hannah turned round to face him.
"Not so bad yourself Steve," Hannah replied with a smile.
Steve smiled back before gently pushing a strand of hair out of Hannah's face. Having stared at each other for what was possibly a little too long, the pair quickly snapped out of it and faced the front of the car.
"Sorry," Steve said quickly in an attempt to cut the awkward atmosphere.
"It's okay," Hannah said, looking at Steve with a smile. "So, do missions like this happen often?"
"Not really. They're usually much more high intensity. So sometimes toning it down is quite nice."
"I can imagine it would be."

Soon enough, the car pulled up and the door was opened by the driver. Steve stepped out first before bending down and offering his hand to Hannah.
"Ready to enter your nightmare Han?"
"Sure, can't wait." Hannah said sarcastically as she got out of the car.
"Don't worry," Steve said as he held out his arm for her to take. "I've got you."