Bucky- Ducky Barnes

POV: You found a duck in the park while walking with Bucky. You decide to raise it together.

The name came to me in a dream so here you go, enjoy my crap. And yes, I know that there are two Bucky chapters in a row, I just couldn't not write this down.

I also do not condone stealing ducks- or any wild animal for that matter- from their homes. Just don't do it, I wanted to write this chapter, ok?

Word Count: 1,189
Type: Cute/funny. I can't decide so you get to
Reader Pronouns: She/her

Your outfit before the time skip:

Your outfit after the time skip:

The duck (I couldn't say you get a duck without showing you it):

•••

You walked with Bucky through Central Park near the edge of the pond, laughing and joking around. To the world, it may have seemed like you two were a happy couple on a date, but you two were just best friends- besides Steve, of course.

You and Bucky met years ago in HYDRA on a mission you were both assigned to. You two were the best of the best, so it had to be a high stakes mission. And it was, it was facing off against the Avengers, specifically Steven Grant Rogers. He said a few words to Bucky and boom, he was out of it. It didn't take long before you were, too.

Bucky had a missing arm and you, a missing leg. Sure, not super practical, but it was high tech and nearly no one would know if they didn't see it. In fact, it was almost impossible to tell you had one except for the faint limp you got when you really needed to stop and take a break.

You two had grown close over the past few years outside of HYDRA, usually talking about the missing limb or the mission that freed you, but today you were talking about why small dogs always seemed the angriest. "They have nowhere for all that pent up rage to go, so they just... spew it all outwards, onto the world."
"That's an excellent point, but why would they be so angry?"
"Because God made them short. I'd be angry if I were under a foot tall."

Bucky spat out his drink laughing and it wasn't long before you gave in, too. "Alright, Cyborg."
"You're a Cyborg too, you know."
"Am not."
" The Oxford English Dictionary defines a Cyborg as 'a person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body.' Therefore, you are also a Cyborg, Cyborg."
"I'm going to start calling you Dictionary."
"I do have an eidetic memory. It makes embarrassing things so much worse."
"Sucks for you I guess."

You nudged him in the side and he chucked as you made your way around the edge of the pond to a spot no one was in. You sat on the bench for a while, rubbing the spot where the prosthetic attached to your leg. Bucky glanced at you in worry. "Are you alright? Do you want to head back?"
"I'm fine."
"You rarely pay attention to it unless it hurts, are you sure-"

You cut him off by waving a hand in his face and glaring, leaning back against the bench and letting out an exasperated breath. Bucky leaned back as well and you sat in silence for a while, eyes closed, until a small 'quack!' pulled you two back to reality. You opened your eyes and looked down to see a small duck pecking at your prosthetic, probably curious as to why it dinged and wasn't squishy like Bucky's was. You elbowed him in the side. "Hey! I was trying to relax-"
"There's a duck."
"Yeah we're at a pond, there's ducks everywhere."
"Not on the water, on my foot."

You pointed to your foot, which the duck was now on top of. Bucky sat you straight and looked at it, wondering what to do next. "We'll I'll be damned."
"Don't let the Captain hear that language. What do we do with it?"
"Keep it I guess. I don't see a mom anywhere and it seems to like you. Stand up and see if it follows you."

You nodded and stood and the duckling jumped off your foot in alarm, toppling over. You smothered a laugh and helped it right itself before starting to walk. Sure enough, you heard the 'tap tap tap' of the little feet on the concrete behind you. You stopped and picked it up, glancing up at Bucky with a grin on your face. He chuckled and walked over, gently stroking the duckling's head. "I think," he said, voice hushed, "we have a new pet.

•••Time Skip•••

It had been 3 weeks since you'd rescued the duckling from Central Park. You had decided to name him Ducky Barnes, as Bucky whispered it under his breath in a dead serious tone on the way home that day and you two couldn't stop laughing. It got to the point where you had to pull over just to collect yourself. 

The others were less than impressed about the surprise adoption of a duck, but they had learned to love Ducky Barnes as much as you did. Tony was even building a large habitat for him so he could stay in it, even when he reached his full size. You had thought it was ridiculous at first, but figured it would be a good idea when you needed it. It would have logs, grass, moss, and even a small pond as well as heating lamps, food and water bowls and toys he somehow managed to find.

You were taking Ducky Barnes for a walk around the compound and overheard Nat and Steve talking. "That duck has taken up so much of Tony's time, focus, and energy, I'm beginning to think we should get more."
"The Honking Soldier is a miracle worker. He got the great, Tony Stark to shut up for once."

You heard them chuckle and couldn't help but laugh too. You rounded the corner and Ducky Barnes ran at Natasha, who smiled and picked him up. "The Honking Soldier, huh?"
"It suits him."
"So ferocious- don't bite my finger."

You chuckled at Natasha, who was now talking to the duck in Russian. You and Steve both understood it as you were both fluent in it, Steve and Nat were both fluent in multiple languages- as were you- but not all of them were the same. "Good to know this duck will be raised speaking multiple languages."
"Oh shush, I heard you talking to him in Portuguese the other day."
"Steve talks to him in Italian."
"I don't like to be called out like that, Y/N."
"Save it, Capsicle."

You made a shushing motion with your hand and Nat chuckled as Steve stole Ducky from her, coddling him and speaking quickly in Italian. You chuckled and shook your head. Out of all the languages you spoke, Italian wasn't one of them. "Alright I'm going to steal him back because Bucky will kill me if even a single feather is out of place."
"I just got him."
"And you can get him again after his bath. Say goodbye to The Honking Soldier."

You took him from Steve and headed back to the makeshift enclosure that was set up in your room, placing him in there and heading to your bathroom to start running a bath in the sink. As much as a pain in the ass it was to bathe him and take care of him, adopting Ducky Barnes- taking him under your wing if you may- was one of the best things that happened to you, and it seemed to be one of the best things that had happened to the team in a long time, too.