Steve- My Queen, My Knight (Royal!AU: Pt. 5)

Same outfit. I'm really lazy right now and my mental health status is not doing so hot.

I apologize for it being so short. Again, my mental health is currently evil and making me really want to ya know, not exist at the moment.

Word Count: 963

•••

You and Steve made your way back down the stairs to the main floor where Wanda and Pietro were waiting. They were silent as you reached the bottom of the stairs and slid over to the couch, Steve placing himself between you and Pietro. Not like you just kissed him upstairs, nope. Definitely not.

After a short, awkward silence, Wanda spoke up and moved away from the window, towards the fireplace that was now lit. "You two done arguing? Or are we going to go to another unscheduled half time?"
"No, we're good now. We've sorted things out."

Steve slid his hand into yours and you felt your cheeks heat. You were a royal, you were trained from a young age to never show your true emotions during a meeting, you were counting this lovely hostage type situation as one.

Those lessons were always about agreement, disagreement, anger, you were even taught how to deal with betrayal. None of them ever taught you how to deal with... this. Steve cleared his throat. "Right, well then. Do you have a plan to fix the whole 'overthrow the kingdom' thing going on?"
"We're working on it."
"Care to share it with us?"
"Steve."
"Sorry."

Wanda chuckled briefly at how fast he apologized to you. She probably connected the dots, Pietro was obviously less observant. After all, it was her 'superpower.' "Before we explain the plan, you're going to need some backstory as to why we're here."
"Go ahead."

You nodded at Wanda, as if motioning for her to continue. When she didn't, Pietro spoke up. "20 years ago, our parents were exiled from the kingdom, your kingdom, courtesy of your grandparents. Since then, our names and legacy have most likely been erased from your history."
"Why would your names be part of our history?" Steve fired back.
"We're Maximoffs." Wanda added.

Your eyes widened in realization. Maximoffs, their family had been used in experiments, an order given by your grandfather. When they tried to break their silence, the entire family was either exiled or executed. You guessed they just hadn't come back to the kingdom since, for fear of being treated the same as they were back then. "I'm so sorry. I found some old files on what they- my grandparents- did to your family. I know it's not going to be of much help now, but I can't even begin to express my forgiveness for their actions."

Wanda nodded solemnly. "We haven't gone back since, not openly, anyways. When we need supplies, I go and take what we need. The walk there takes about a day's time over all the hills and through the thick brush, though."
"So that's why there's just one bed."
"Yes, and by the time I'm back, it's Pietro's turn to go to the kingdom. We're never home much. He goes in to work for a week and returns later. He goes about twice a month."

You nodded. Steve glanced between the twins and you. Clearly he didn't understand what had happened. You leaned in and whispered it to him. "My grandfather, Gideon. He preformed... experiments, on the Maximoffs. Once my dad came to power, he tried to erase the files. I'm very resourceful, however."
"Oh. I'm sorry."
"Yes. Now, we need to enact a plan."
"Any ideas?" You inquired.
"Well, princess,"

Pietro stood up and walked towards his sister, leaning down to see your face. Steve's grip on your hand tightened. You held in a scoff, though your eyes may have rolled. "As far as the civilians and other kingdoms know, the entirety of your family- including you- died in the ambush. Of course, those who overthrew the kingdom know otherwise, which proves to be quite the problem for them. If you're alive they have no real claim to the throne. You following so far?"
"Yeah, I'm alive so they can't technically have rule over the kingdom, I get it."
"Good. Now, because you're the only thing standing between them and a rightful claim, they're either going to find you, or you have to fight them. I suggest an ambush."
"Now what my dear brother seems to have forgotten, is that there's no way into the kingdom that isn't going to be heavily guarded. Every gate is armed by 7 men at the very least. We need another way in."

You and Steve exchanged glances, the same idea clearly popping into both of your heads. Wanda raised an eyebrow at the two of you as you turned back to face the siblings. "Uh, there might be another way in."
"What do you mean?" Wanda inquired.
"We kinda escaped using a secret passage. Y/N here always leaves her bedroom window open- a stupid move when living there- but my guess is they thought we left through the open window, climbing down the roofs to escape. If they found the passage, they'd be here by now and we'd all be dead."
"See? My forgetfulness can be helpful on occasion. I'm not that dumb."
"Very rare occasions, yes."

You rolled your eyes smiling while Wanda clapped her hands together in delight. Clearly, this was good news. She exchanged a happy, upbeat look with Pietro before turning back to the two of you. "Perfect. We have a way in, now we need to train. Steve, you'll work with Pietro. He's fast but clumsy."
"Hey!"
"I'm not wrong. Y/N, I'll work with you. Daggers, swords, whatever it may be. I'm best with blades. Obviously we won't be able to make you a master swordswoman by the time we head to the kingdom, but you'll be pretty damn good. What do you say?"

You nodded and stood, Steve taking his place beside you, still hand in hand. "I say, we bring them hell."