The Avengers- You're My Favourite

POV: You and the team go to a children's hospital to meet them. You stay in the back until you meet a little girl who says you're her favourite.

This one's short and sweet, so if you need a quick read here you go! I'm not breaking any hearts today.

Word Count: 1,057
Type: Cute
Reader Pronouns: She/her

Your outfit:

•••

You walked into the hospital with the team, looking around at the bare walls and sad arm chairs in the waiting room, filled to the brim with worried families. You never liked hospitals, especially after your mother's death in a failed surgery. A surgery that was supposed to save her life. Another added bonus was the fact that it was this hospital that it happened in, and it was in this hospital you had your arm amputated, but the Vibranium prosthetic was all Shuri and Tony.

You shook the feeling and headed to the elevator with the others, sitting just under the weight limit. It was a tight squeeze, but you all fit in. Tony turned and faced you all, but kept his eyes on his phone."You ready to see the kids?"
"Their faces light up every time." Nat smiled.
"You do this often?"
"Right, it's your first time coming with us, Y/N. The reactions we get are priceless. The kids love when we come and since you're new, they're going to obsess over you." Steve placed an arm around your shoulder and laughed.
"I'll just hide in the corner, thanks. I suck with kids and I don't really like them."
"Nonsense! You have to meet the children!"
"Yeah, and you're great with Morgan."
"Morgan is also practically my niece, Tony."

Thor boomed, his voice was big and loud per usual, and in this tiny elevator it echoed like crazy. You winced ever so slightly but regained your composure as the doors opened to reveal the Peds floor desk. The nurse looked up and smiled at you all as you walked out. Tony walked up to her and shook her hand, talking indistinctively before she faced the rest of you. "The kids love your visits, they've been counting the days for months." She directed her attention to you. "I don't believe you were here last time, you are?"
"Y/N, I'm mostly undercover, I've only been on a couple of the big missions."
"Alright, well they're in the rec room per usual, head on in whenever."

She smiled kindly and went back to her paperwork as everyone headed to the rec room. You toyed with the end of your sleeve, pulling it down to cover your arm a little bit more. You knew how some kids had no filter and would ask about it, some of the questions would probably be insensitive, so it was best to avoid the topic altogether.

The doors pushed open and the kids swarmed the team, particularly the Original Six; Nat, Tony, Clint, Steve, Thor, and Bruce. You, Wanda and Peter- who was pretending to be Tony's intern- waited by the door, while Sam talked with the slightly older kids, sharing ridiculous stories of missions and throwing in some about his nephews.

Eventually Wanda and Peter got sucked into the main crowd while you stayed put by the door, slowly migrating to the far wall. Nat tried to pull you in a few times, but you always went back to your spot not long after. Eventually Wanda broke off from the group as well and walked over to you. "When you said you didn't like kids, you really meant it."
"Yeah, kids definitely aren't my forte."
"Well at least you came, that's more than we can say for Carol."
"She's on another planet for Christ's sake."

Wanda chuckled and sat down on a bean bag chair in the corner, waving to a little girl who was looking at you two. You smiled at her and she walked over, headed straight for you. She couldn't have been much older than six, her blonde hair was in a braid and she was wearing a pink hoodie with some animal on it.

She walked up to you and smiled shyly as you crouched down to her level, smiling. "Hello, who are you?"
"Kayla."
"Nice to meet you, Kayla. I'm Y/N, this is my friend, Wanda."
"I know who you are, you're Avengers."
"Yes, we are. Why aren't you talking to Captain America or Iron Man with the others?"
"You're my favourite."
"I'm your favourite?"

She nodded a little bit and Wanda smiled at you, standing up and leaving you two alone. You watched her go before turning back to Kayla. "Why am I your favourite?"
"Because you're like me."
"How?"

She pointed to your arm, where your prosthetic was barely visible, and you frowned, confused for a moment before she rolled up her sleeve and revealed one of her own. You smiled at her and pulled yours up, lifting your hand as she brought hers up and high-fived you. "I was born without mine, my mummy says the doctors were waiting to take me away to try and fix it so it didn't hurt as much."
"It still hurts sometimes, doesn't it?"
"Yeah, but it's ok."
"I still feel like mine's there sometimes, but my friends can help with that."
"My friends think it's cool but I can't do what they do."
"I know, that kinda sucks, but you can also do things they can't do, like this."

You pressed a button and your arm popped off as Kayla giggled. You faked shock and panic as it clunked to the floor before laughing with her and putting it back on. "Why are you in the hospital?"
"My lungs and stuff have something wrong with them, my mummy says it's something called croup."
"I had croup once when I was younger too, but I didn't have to go to the hospital."
"The doctors said the medicine is working, and mummy said I can go home soon."
"That's awesome. Are you excited to go home?"
"Yeah, but when I'm here I get all the ice cream I want."
"I'm sure you do. What's your favourite flavour?"
"Chocolate!"
"A fine choice."

You both laughed and continued talking for the remainder of the day, eventually signing a picture for her. You hugged her goodbye at the door and left with the others. "Who was that, Y/N?"
"A little girl named Kayla. She has croup but the medicine's apparently working."
"That's good, but I thought you said you didn't like kids?"
"I don't, but she said I was her favourite."

Wanda smiled at you, knowing why as she had caught that part of the conversation.