Steve- My Queen, My Knight (Royal!AU: Pt. 4)

Word Count: 1,461

Angsty. Then less so. Enjoy. I finally got to write a little happiness, yay.

I'll make more parts, I just needed a way for y'all to have an ending, there's a lot that's come up in my life as of late and I need to take a step back for a little while, but I'll be back when I can.

Same outfit still, I'm not changing it for a little while sorry. It might change next part tho, depending on how I feel.

•••

You and Steve sat side by side on the couch, watching the two. They were talking in some foreign language, you tried to understand but had no clue what they were saying, though you picked out a few names. Wanda and Pietro. Those must've been their names.

The girl, Wanda, was still holding her dagger, waving it around like a stick when she talked. The boy, Pietro, had his hand on her shoulder and kept glancing back at you and Steve, as if trying to calm her down. You leaned over to Steve and lowered your voice. "What do we do now?"
"Do what they say and hope to God she isn't psychotic and wants to kill us?"
"Not much of a plan..."
"Do you have anything better?"

Your silence answered his question. Within the span of 2 weeks, you'd been shot at, forced to live in the woods, and now threatened with a knife. Life was going great. You eventually came up with a plan. "Well they're going to ask questions. Just give them short answers, but truthful ones. Even one inconsistency and she might kill us, ok?"
"Ok, alright."

Finally they stopped arguing and Wanda walked over, grabbing a chair and swinging it around so it was backwards and sat down, leaning on the back of it. She faced Steve first, questioning him. "So. You two obviously aren't from the woods."
"No. We're not."
"Where are you from then?"
"Crorin."
"Ah, the fancy folk. The Kingdom of Crorin. The royals have gotten better, but God were they brutal before."

You looked down at your hands and smiled to yourself. Sure, the generations before you weren't great, but your parents were wonderful. You'd like to think that you took after them. Pietro looked at you and raised a brow. You noticed out of the corner of your eye and quickly suppressed the smile. "What are you smiling about?"
"Nothing, just think it's nice that the royals have good rap."
"Why do you care?"
"Because it's my home, my kingdom. Of course I care about how the rulers are viewed. Especially by outsiders."
"Uh, hey. What happened to short and sweet?" Steve whispered to you.
"You shush."

Wanda eyed you two suspiciously, before connecting the dots. She stood up and pushed the chair out of her way, knocking it to the floor. Pietro had picked it up in an instant. Her eyes narrowed at you and she pointed the dagger, walking towards you slowly. "Hang on. I heard about an overthrow, at the ball they had just hosted. Why are you here and not there?"
"Uh, I-"
"The royals are dead. The king, queen and son, but they never found the body of the daughter.
Said she escaped." Pietro added.

You froze up. Steve glanced at you, his hand sliding under yours and grasping it. You looked back at him, eyes widened slightly. You both had the same thought. Your brother. God, he was just a kid. He just started fifth grade, he was so excited. You felt tears bubble but didn't let them fall, turning back to face Wanda and her dagger. She was almost nose to nose with you. "I'll bet you're her."
"Where'd you get that idea?"
"Well, you arrived here the night or so after the overthrow. You clearly have no experience with the whole "woods" thing, and the hilt on his sword is encrusted with the royal emblem."
"Ok, so you're observant."
"It's like my superpower. Pietro's got fast reflexes. He's also a great runner."
"So are you against us or with us?"

Steve finally spoke up. Wanda turned to him and moved back from you. She repositioned her dagger and stood up straight, still pointing it at him. "Undecided." she paused before, "What's your name? We know hers, obviously, but you're a mystery."
"Steve. How'd you know we've been here since the overthrow? Were you watching us?"
"Well, it wasn't a great surprise finding someone in our house."
"I knew someone lived here."

You hissed at him through gritted teeth. Wanda chuckled and backed up, a small smile playing on her lips. She finally lowered her dagger but kept it in her grasp. You kept your eyes trained on it. "You two obviously fled the kingdom, assuming the people who orchestrated the overthrow have taken the throne, they need you dead to have a rightful claim to it. However, you're alive, which is clearly an... inconvenience, to them."
"Are you going to kill us then?"
"God no, I don't like your family, but I hate the people who took them down more. Plus their actions aren't your fault."
"So you're with us..?"
"We're not against you."

Pietro piped up, sitting down on the couch next to you. You turned to face him and he smiled, extending his hand. You shook it and smiled back at him. "We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Pietro Maximoff, you've already been aquatinted with my sister, Wanda."
"Y/N Y/L/N. This is Steve Rogers."
"Hi."

He waved slightly, a serious look on his face. Wanda rolled her eyes at the three of you before heading to the kitchen and making herself a sandwich, clearly not enjoying the show her brother was preforming.

Steve watched as Pietro obviously flirted with you. He'd been in love with you forever, but all he had to do was wink and smile and you'd be falling for him, that's always how these things went. Finally he had enough and grabbed your forearm. You abruptly stopped talking to Pietro, turning to face Steve, who was staring down Pietro behind you. "Can we go and talk upstairs?"
"Yeah, of course. Be right back."

Pietro nodded at you and you and Steve headed upstairs, him dragging you by your arm. You reached the top and he finally let go as you crossed your arms. He ran a hand through his hair before turning to face you. "What the hell, Steven?! I was having a conversation!"
"He was flirting with you!"
"What do you care? I can talk to other people, you know. It's not illegal."
"He doesn't even know you and he immediately started trying to get with you!"

At that you slapped him across the face, his hand flying up to his cheek, which was already turning pink. He looked up at you, hurt in his eyes, but in the moment you didn't care. Ok, maybe a little, but you were too mad at him to do anything about it. "You're not my boyfriend, so stop acting like you are."
"Y/N-"
"No. You're my guard, that doesn't mean that you own me, your job is to protect me."
"I'm trying to protect you, but you just slapped me in the face for it!"

You quieted, finally feeling guilty about the whole 'slapping-Steve-in-the-face' thing. You looked down at your hands. Steve's tone softened almost instantly. "Y/N, we don't know him. I mean, a random guy who's been spying on us finally introduced himself, his sister already knew you were royalty, and the first thing he does is flirt with you? I felt like something was wrong, I had to make sure you were ok, before anything else."

He raised his hand and cupped your cheek, lifting your chin, but you refused to meet his eyes. You felt the heat creeping up your neck to your cheeks. "Y/N. Please. Look at me."

You finally raised your eyes, Steve's face only a few inches away from your own. Your breath hitched and you stared at him for what felt like hours, but in reality was probably only a few seconds. Before either of you knew what you were doing, your lips collided, sending sparks throughout your entire body. Your eyes fell shut and you brought your arms up, wrapping them around Steve's neck as his free hand wrapped around your waist, pulling you closer to him.

Although he was almost a half foot taller than you, it was surprisingly easy to reach him, although that may have just been because he was leaning down to your level. You finally pulled apart, much to your dismay, but kept your foreheads pressed against each other. You stood there for a few minutes before Steve spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that."
"I might."

You smiled a little and stepped back, Steve removing his hand from your waist and you removed yours from his neck. "Ok, what does this mean for us now?"
"You're the royal here, you make the decisions."
"Well then," you smiled at him, "The royal has decided that she wants to kiss you again."

And so you did.