Chapter 2

I walked towards the woods. They were peaceful, barely any walkers had managed to make their way up here. They still scour the city for whatever is left. Just as I reached the opening to the woods, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned my head and was met with Rick. Lori's husband. 

"Hey, where are you going?" He asked. I pointed towards the woods, I thought it might have been a little obvious.

"I meant to ask why?" The look on his face told me that he was genuinely curious. It has been a while since someone has actually paid close attention to me. Best not get used to it. 

"I wanted to go for a walk, it has always been peaceful in the woods." I explained. I took in the surroundings, the mixes of green, the jealous wife staring at me, the blue lake. Just so beautiful. 

Rick nodded, understanding that people still like to keep themselves to themselves. I'm not much of a sharer. Never really talked or expressed to many feelings. Especially the shitty feelings. 

I had been walking around aimlessly, enjoying the nature. The snap of a branch made me spin, observing everything to make sure that I wasn't being followed or walkers had made their way up here. Still scouring the area, I heard a slight moan, and not the dead kind. Investigating more, I had moved around a few trees, finally spotting Lori with Shane on the floor, she's obviously not committed to her marriage. I gasped lowly and walked away slowly so they wouldn't see me, or hear me.

I continued to walk backwards, worried that there was still a chance I could have been spotted. I mean, who can live down catching someone in the woods? Once I was absolutely sure that I was out of eye sight, I turned around, initially ready to carry on with my stroll. But when does anything ever go to plan? I turned around and came face to face with a walker. The dead eyes staring at me, his hands had grasped my arms. I screamed, shoving the walker away. I began to sprint, simultaneously looking behind and in front of me to stop any surprise walkers. After glancing back for a second, I tripped over a log on the floor. The once blurs of green had come to a standstill as I had fallen. The walker had sped up, seeing me on the floor and completely stationary. I'm about to become a snack for the dead.

I began to regret screaming, attracting more walkers is not what I need right now. I began to back myself up, hitting the trunk to a tree. Multiple walkers had started to come from all directions. I began to prepare myself for the worse, I can't get out of this situation.

I figured my last hope was to scream again, hopefully someone can hear my pleas for help. Maybe Lori or Shane, they were here a few minutes ago. My energy was drained, I slumped against the tree. Come on, think, Millie! I dug my nails into my palms, bringing myself to stand, ignoring my aching ankle. Reaching for the closest branch, I pulled myself up. The walkers had neared the tree, if I didn't start climbing when I did, I would be dead right now. 

Climbing to the very top, I pulled my knees to my chest. My chin resting on top, silent tears rolled down my cheeks as the walkers began to group up at the base of the tree. I slumped in defeat, I can't get out of this situation. My ankle is throbbing with pain and I could not be more out of energy. The only thing I can do is wait the walkers out.

I felt my eyes shut, I suppose most people die in their sleep anyway. What would make me any different? 

--

My eyes had opened. I was still in the tree, it took a while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. The sun was just about to set and the sky was a lilac color. One or two walkers had left since I had last checked. Progress. 

The bushes rustled and I hoped it could be something that would interest the walkers so they would leave. Keeping my eye in the same area, I saw Rick emerge. 

He had come by himself. He had his gun drawn at the walkers, ready to shoot if anything had gone downhill. I had made grand gestures with my arms, ensuring his attention. His looked up and let out a sigh of relief? 

He had begun to made some weird signals with his hands, which he must have learned while being in the police force. It took him a while, but he had realised that I didn't understand a thing he was trying to tell me.

He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration and signalled me to go to the next tree, towards him. See, easy to understand.

I nodded and stood on the one good foot I had, the other was off the ground. It will only get worse with pressure. I had managed to get a hold of the branch I was going to step on, getting ready to jump. 

With the disadvantages on my side, I'm not surprised I didn't make it. My breath caught in my throat as I hurdled through the air. I prepared for the impact on my poor back, the ground of a woodland isn't forgiving. 

I felt a pair of arms catch me before I had hit the floor, Rick secured me in his arms before running back towards the camp, leaving the walkers in the dust.

He had carried me all the way back, and he wasn't out of breath. What kind of physique did he need to uphold? 

He had put my legs back to the floor and ensured I was ok.

"Thanks, I started to think the worst back there." I said.

"How could you be so stupid?" He yelled. The rage in his voice reminded me why I keep to myself.

"I'm sorry," I murmured, I can't yell at him, he just saved my life. 

He gave an annoyed sigh and walked away from me, frustration clear on his face.

I groaned and sat down, my ankle hurts.

A/N- Thanks for reading again! Cya!
            Lilzi007

Originally posted on the 3rd March 2015.