Chapter 34

We eventually left the Cabin, passing one of the Terminus signs. The group and I kept walking but Rick stopped, looking at the sign, deep in thought. I stopped too while the group slowly kept going.

"What are you doing?" I questioned, he looked over to see that I had stopped. He looked away, picking up a rock and crossing out the 'Sanctuary For All' and directions, replacing it with his own writing. 'NO SANCTUARY.'

Rick and I caught up with the grop who were now walking through the woods. Near by, I could hear Walkers, they were probably just trying to catch their next meal. Not long after, we heard a man, screaming for help. It's probably too late now.

Carl sprinted in the direction of the plea for help while Rick called after him. We came across a clearing where a man stood with a priest suit on, Walkers surrounding him. The group and I killed the Walkers, I managed to take down two of them.

"Who are you?" Rick immediately asked.

"My name is Father Gabriel," Gabriel stated, he climbed down off the rock, looking at the Walkers and throwing up.

"How many have you killed?" Rick was asking the three questions that everyone was asked, especially if you were new to the group.

"None." His answer was blunt and didn't seem realistic.

"Bullshit," I said, just as blunt as his answer. He looked offended at my words but everyone agreed with me. "There is no way you survived all this time."

"Do you have any weapons on you?" Rick asked, looking over Gabriel.

"Does it look like I have any weapons on me?" He snapped back.

"I don't give a damn what it looks like." I said.

"The word of God is the only protection I need," Gabriel said.

"Sure didn't look like it," Daryl mumbled.

"I called for help, help came." Is he trying to prove a point?

"Do you have a camp?" He asked, he looked hopeful.

"No, do you?" Rick asked.

"I have a Church."

"How many people have you killed?" Rick asked the final question that everyone is asked.

"None,"

"Why?" I asked, curiously.

"Because the Lord abhors violence."

I rolled my eyes, zoning out until Gabriel said something that I had to listen to.

"Or, maybe I'm lying. Maybe I'm lying about everything and there's no Church ahead at all. Maybe I'm leading you into a trap so I can steal all your squirrels. Members of my flock often told me my smart mouth will lead me to trouble." Gabriel was rambling at this point, so I again zoned out.

--

Eventually, the group began walking, I trailed behind. Rick came over while the rest went ahead, following Gabriel to his Church.

"Millie," Rick called, I walked over to him, he was waiting by the woods.

"Hey," I said, he quickly looked around us then leaned in closer.

"Make sure you don't leave my sight when we reach this Church of his. Watch yourself." I nodded, smiling a little at his caring side. I leaned in closer to him, closing the gap and kissing him. He grabbed my waist, bringing me closer if that was possible, while I smiled into the kiss.

I pulled away and grabbed his hand, walking to the group that had arrived at the Church. I glanced around, seeing Jesus on the glass windows and a bible at the front. I guess he wasn't lying or leading us into a trap like I had suspected.

We sat down, thankful for a bit of rest on the warm day. I sat with Rick on my left and Carl on my right. Abraham, Rosita and Eugene were all sat together, discussing something with Glenn and Maggie. I know that Daryl was still guilty about Beth, she was kidnapped in some sort of way, which would be uncommon in a world like this.

I laid on a bench, slowly closing my eyes as Rick got up and looked around in the spare rooms with Carl. Let's hope this place is safer than the last.

--

I awoke to Rick sat up sleeping next to me and Carl on the bench behind me. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and patting down my hair while looking around the Church, seeing most people beginning to wake up.

I gently shook Rick, knowing he would want to be awake when everyone else woke up. He opened his eyes, yawning and looking around. 

"Good morning," I said, running my hands through his hair, in attempt to straighten it out. He smiled as I did and brought me closer to kiss me. I smiled into the kiss and pulled away.

"I love you," He said. I could get used to waking up like this.

"I love you too," I replied.

"I found something yesterday after you fell asleep," Rick started, I waited for him to continue.

"On one of the walls, it said 'You'll burn for this.'" 

That is unusual for someone who seemed innocent.

"Is that supposed to be aimed at Gabriel?" I questioned, more to myself. Rick just shrugged.

"Anyway, yesterday I arranged to go raid a local food bank, the only problem is that it's overrun by Walkers," He seemed to be looking for a reaction but I just didn't want him to go.

"Rick, it's dangerous." I said plainly, I understand that we need food and more food is never enough but it's overrun.

"It has already been arranged, I'm going," I opened my mouth to say something but Rick spoke before I could.

"And you're staying here," I frowned but agreed, he was only looking out for me I guess.

"I'll look out for Carl while you're gone." I looked at Carl, who was still sleeping. 

"Thank you," He said, standing and giving me another kiss.

"Watch yourself." I stated when we pulled away.

He nodded and walked out of the Church doors.

Please be careful Rick.