Chapter 17

3 Months Later

I walked back to the house where I'm supposed to live and grabbed my stuff. Today is the day that I leave and they won't stop me. I went to the gates where the people were on watch and snuck around them, if I want to get out, I need to be stealthy. I went to the gates and hid in the bushes. I looked at the open road, should I make a run for it?

I looked at the people on watch and saw that they were laughing with each other, I ran to the road and followed the forest. I arrived at the prison and made Carl open the gate, he looked so grown up. He was on watch anyway, so if he got into trouble I would defend him.
I walked through the prison, trying to find Rick. We need to have a discussion about this. I want to be back in the group, I miss everyone so much.

As I was walking down the hallway, I got pulled into a cell.
"What are you doing here?" Rick asked while tryin to be calm.
"I want to be a part of the group again, I know that you have probably moved on but I have too. I promise it won't be awkward." I was pretty much begging him to let me back in the group.
"Fine. But as soon as you make a move, your out." He said with venom in his words.

"So, how is Zac?" I asked him. He looked at his feet, what is he trying go say?
"Lori took him on a walk and he was bit." Rick explained.
"No, No, No, No this isn't real, Millie just wake up." I screamed at myself but nothing changed, Zac was still dead.
"No." I whispered and fell on the floor crying.

I felt Rick pick me up and carry me to a empty cell. What if it was Lori's fault? What if she purposely killed him? I will find out the truth, for Zac I will find out.
He was my responsibility. I thought back to the time when I first met him. He was a bit scared because he lost his mother and I took on the role of his mother.

Then, Rick came to me and asked the question if he can be Zac's dad.  I miss him so much. I was supposed to take care of him, he trusted Rick and I, we let him down.

Originally published 28th May 2015