Chapter 30

As Rick, Carl and I made our way towards a small house I began to feel drowsy and a bit sick. I kept walking with Rick, hoping that I wouldn't keel over to throw up. We finally approached the house and Rick was insisting that he goes first into the house.

"Rick, no. You can hardly walk by yourself." I exclaimed, Carl was trying to go in first but Rick wouldn't let him. I gave up trying to argue as he would be as stubborn as always and win the argument. He kicked the door with his foot, making sure no walkers were behind it. He limped in with his gun raised as Carl walking in after him.

"Carl," Rick started as Carl began to walk up the corridor with closed doors.

"Stop, it's not safe." After Rick said this, Carl snapped, he began to bang on the opposite wall.

"Don't you think if something was here it would have come out by now? Hey asshole, hey shitface- " Rick cut Carl off.

"WATCH YOUR MOUTH." I felt bad for Rick and Carl, I wasn't prepared to side with one of them though.

"Rick, let's get you laid down and allow Carl to blow off some steam first." He nodded and walked over to the couch, sitting on it for a bit. Carl came over with some rope and began to tie a knot over the door handle and the lock. Rick then moved the couch in front of the door.

"Dad, you don't need that there." Carl said. Rick just shook his head and laid on the couch.

"Shane taught me how to tie a strong knot, it will hold." Rick ignored him and Carl angrily sighed, sitting on the floor.

I walked into the kitchen and searched the cupboards, looking for any supplies that we needed. I had no luck, I walked back into the room where Rick and Carl were to see them arguing again, only this time over food.

"Carl, just eat the food, your father is worried about you." Carl sighed again, taking the food and stormed upstairs. I sat down in Carl's previous spot.

"Carl hates me." Rick said, I shook my head.

"He does not hate you, he is just mad at the world right now."

Rick looked over at me, his beaten up face swelling. I smiled at him and went upstairs. I found the bathroom, under the sink there was a first aid kit. I walked down the steps and crouched down next to Rick.

I got out some wipes, plasters and bandages and began to clean him up. Every so often I would hear him hiss but I continued because I know this is what he needs if he doesn't want all the cuts infected.

After I finished, I put the first aid kit in my bag and watched as Rick slowly fell to sleep.

Originally published 6th November 2016